What are your pantry essentials?

iVillage Member
What are your pantry essentials?
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 12:12am

What are the things that you never allow yourself to run out of?

Now, I know there are folks who replace just about everything when it runs out, no matter if there are immediate plans for it or not.

We make a menu each week, with 7 suppers planned. In fact I have a recipe box with index cards that list the name of the recipe, where to find it, what I need for it (everything but water, salt, and pepper), any sides that go great with it, and even what to preheat the oven to and how long it bakes. I pull out enough for 7 nights (some make 2 suppers) and make the list.

But there are things we do refill immediately or even ensure we always have them by buying a new one when we open the one we had stored. What do you use so often it's always in the fridge, freezer, pantry, or countertop?

Jaseann

co-cl: Celiac Disease

Just because someone, even a doctor, says you look healthy doesn't mean it's all in your head. Just because someone hasn't heard of your condition doesn't mean it's not worth doing what you need to to treat it. You are the expert on your body. Take care of it!

Jaseann

co-cl-Celiac Disease

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 12:35am

Our kitchen (and basement food storage area, consisting of a small chest freezer and a 4-shelf shoe rack, about 2 feet long, that I put next to it and declared the new home for canned and bottled extras which we buy each winter, as well as when my list doesn't take up my food allowance for the week) always has:

At least one bag of each style of our favorite brand of GF pasta and at least one jar of a spaghetti sauce. I use spirals and penne with marinara out of habit, since I could never get our favorite brand's spaghetti to come out right. The other shapes I didn't even have to think about. I do like De Bolles' linguini.

The ingredients for our easy chili- a can of diced tomatoes, two of kidney beans, a bottle of ketchup (it uses 1 cup), some onion (I dice a whole one and freeze what I don't use that day), garlic, cloves, chili powder, a dried or fresh jalepeno, brown sugar, veggie/GF Worstershire sauce, vinegar (cider or rice), and a bit of wine if I've got it

A lot of canned beans, fruits,

Jaseann

co-cl-Celiac Disease

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-11-2009 - 5:18pm

Hi Jase,my essentials are pretty much the same as yours are..i do like to keep a freezer of my alternative flours up to capicity though as i have many of my family i cook for as well..i always have frozen vegies and fruits .i keep my butters up,

i always have a good supply of tins goodies,i make sure my sugar tea and coffee are right,i use lots of milks like .coconut,almond.rice,and powdered lite milk which is lactose free also,and uht milk,i have my spices and herbs for flavouring ,we eat loads of garlic,

i try to buy fresh when we can but being a few miles away from shops,we have a well stocked pantry..

i make our own breads and baked goods,i have bread machine,in fact two..i bought one and my son moved house and job,

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-12-2009 - 6:09pm

i forgot one thing.opps sorry more