how were you diagnosed?

iVillage Member
how were you diagnosed?
Fri, 01-16-2009 - 4:43pm
I am just curious how people here were diagnosed. how long did you have symptoms? did you get blood work done first and a biopsy later? what kind of dr diagnosed you? just wondering how everyone came to be diagnosed.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-16-2009 - 5:54pm

Hello,mine was done 64 years ago,in England ,as by my story,although there were not many facilities in those years it mainly was blood test..my daughter how ever was by biopsy,first as other things were suspected,then confirmed blood test a

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-19-2009 - 12:01pm

I started having symptoms around age 8 or 10. I was taken off all fruits and veggies for a spell (and given vitamins of course) for a few weeks because I was having so much trouble digesting, and then eased back onto them, starting with low-fiber, easily digested stuff- applesauce, pulp-free oj, overcooked veggies, so my body could re-adjust to them.

Of course now we know why I wasn't digesting them well.

A GP can order the blood test. Mine was willing to. But my father was listening to my aunt talk about this amazing diet her doctor had ordered her to try, and the amazing results.

I was 24 or so, but still at home and a part-time college student due to health issues. I had been (correctly)

Jaseann

co-cl-Celiac Disease

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 8:45pm

This is interesting, because I was told when my biopsy was mostly negative that I wwas not a celiac (I had been following an inperfect non celiac diet for some time before the biopsy), and my son who I feel has celiac disease also was told he did not because his biopsy (at 5yo) was negative.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-27-2009 - 5:38pm

Dear Heather,

thank you for posting,i find this does happen and has happened many times over with tests,,

a lot of drs are not up to date with tests and with diagnosing celiac disease,

they do the tests and when it comes up negative, say oh not celiac ,when in fact it is...

if he is still having symptoms or problems,i would suggest

he does go back onto the diet ,but if you wish him to have another test then wait till after the test..it's best

i have had many of the people ,who i do up diet lists for,its not unusual for them to have at had at