Umm, what the heck CAN I eat????

iVillage Member
Umm, what the heck CAN I eat????
Tue, 02-10-2009 - 10:05am

One of my MD's has decided that I must be allergic to wheat/gluten, so he has ordered me to eat a gluten-free diet for one month.

mcpayton
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-11-2009 - 4:53am
Don't despair. The CLs will come along today and have some great advice for you. I just wanted to let you know that I was where you are now about a year ago and have since found that I don't miss most of the stuff I used to eat. I still fall off the band wagon, so to speak, every once in a while and sneak a piece of bread or two, but not like I did when I first started this diet. I don't have a wheat allergy; gluten for me was causing chronic pain for 10 years and now I'm pain free. I know you miss all this stuff now, but once you start feeling better, it will be really worth all your hard work. I recently bought a book on Amazon called Gluten Free Cooking for Dummies and it's really helpful. As far as pasta is concerned, just google gluten free pasta and you'll have dozens of sites to look at. I don't know where you live, but Publix and Hannaford stores do sell some gluten free pastas. THe ones I like best are Orgran garlic and rice pasta and Quinoa pasta. They do have a different taste to them, but once you put sauce on them, you can hardly notice a difference. I also found I like the taste of these two pastas better than regular pasta with just a little butter added. If you have a health food store around, you might be surprised at what the have to offer. The one in my area sells GF pizza, breads, pastas, cake mixes, muffin mixes, etc. The only problem with that for me is that alot of them contain soy and I can't have that either! The best part about living gluten free (besides the lack of pain and fatigue) is that I've learned to eat healthier and I'm eating much more fruits and veggies. Don't think of it as being deprived, think of it as a new opportunity to eat healthier and explore the other foods that are out there that you CAN eat. Where do you live? How did the doc diagnose your allergy?
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-11-2009 - 8:22am

As to your doctor, get a copy of The Gluten Free Bible by Jax Peters Lowell, and make him read the section on how this is, initially, so life changing that grief is justified.

There are GF lasagna noodles. They are by the company whose name I cannot remember, ever, after over 5 years on the diet. Tinkyana? Is that close enough for someone to tell you? My package is in the basement food storage shelves and my knees refuse to make the trip until it stops raining, my pain pills work, and I've had my legs up for 3 days. I'm hoping negotiations will cut that last one down.

There are Internet sellers. I have used the Gluten Free Pantry, www.glutenfree.com, for 5 years. There are others. You will find lasagna noodles, and the 3 major brands of GF pasta (Bionaturae is made in Italy, where CD is so common they had a requirement that kids be tested before entering school! And the company makes wheat pastas too! They know what pasta should taste like)

Jaseann

co-cl-Celiac Disease

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-11-2009 - 8:55pm

WELCOME for starters..now,we know, what you are feeling and how stressed you are ,having to give up the normal foods you are use to ,but stress no more, you are in the right place as you may have found out by the replies you have received already ,

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-12-2009 - 5:09am

My MD and my Chinese med doc both think that the majority of my problems are from food allergies/intolerences, and came to the conclusion by process of elimination.

mcpayton
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-13-2009 - 5:12am

I never planned to become a weirdo about food, but if it makes me feel better.... I just wish it didn't involve so much cooking!

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-13-2009 - 9:49pm

My aunty doesn't really mind cooking- but, until she moved in with us, it was her and her 40 lb dog.

This isn't being "weird" about food. My grandfather refusing to eat anything with tomatoes for decades, while Grandma swore Mom and my (other) aunt to secrecy about what spaghetti sauce is, was being weird. If Dad knows roasted red peppers are in something he goes in complaining, while if he doesn't know what the red bits are he's enjoying the meal. Pointing this out, with witnesses, hasn't helped. I know he doesn't like the things raw and cut the amount in recipes (even Chloe the puppy will eat them, and Mom, Aunty and I like them).

There are 2 non-weird reasons for changing your diet. One is that you have reason to believe it will improve your health. There are fads that come and go, because they make no sense. About 5 years ago there was this selective carb elimination a lot of celiacs fell into, where non-gluten grains were eliminated from the diet and they ate tons of yogurt because supposedly there was a permanent imbalance of intestinal flora. And the yogurt was preferable home-made, without extraneous chemicals.

Nothing is wrong with eating yogurt, and if you've been ill the good

Jaseann

co-cl-Celiac Disease