One day...

iVillage Member
One day...
Sat, 03-07-2009 - 9:02pm

One day, you will wake up without abdominal pain or whatever other symptoms you have- and you won't even realize it because that's now normal.

You will get out of bed, with a lot more energy because you've actually been absorbing all those good nutrients you've been eating. As you get ready you'll go into the kitchen and make breakfast.

And making breakfast will be as easy as it was before because your favorite GF cereal, frozen pancakes, GF oatmeal (since you've been GF long enough to ease that into your diet again. Only a small percentage of us cannot tolerate GF oats, produced on equipment that never touches wheat like most others are), or whatever food you usually eat in the morning is right there. And you didn't even have to search for it.

Maybe that day you go out for lunch with some colleagues. You now know what you can order at a lot of restaurants. So other than remembering to tell the waiter not to put croutons on the salad or in the soup, it is just a normal "we got through the terrible, awful, no good, very bad project" thing. Don't believe me? My aunt, another celiac, and I went to Wendy's on Friday, and we've been to two other restaurants together. The closest to an issue was me reminding her, as we discussed what we were going to order, was me reminding her that, as she's Catholic and it's Friday and it's Lent, she shouldn't order the chili with her potato. She can also have the burger without a bun there, btw. Most of the year, anyway!

So you are back in the office after that lunch, and you want a snack. Well, it doesn't matter how many of the items in the vending machine are GF. Either you go for the chocolate or for the stuff you've stashed in your desk, or locker, or briefcase. And whether you went for the healthy little baby carrots and celery, potato or corn chips,

Jaseann

co-cl-Celiac Disease

iVillage Member
In reply to: jaseann
Sun, 03-08-2009 - 7:20am
You know, I was reading your post and couldn't agree more. But, it seems like for most of us that giving up gluten is very hard. It's the hardest addiction I've ever had to break (even though I try to play it off like it wasn't) and I've given up all kinds of food-stuff. Or maybe it's the latest thing of a long list of stuff I've had to give up and maybe it's a psychological thing due to that fact. Either way, I think we are so programmed to eat it because most of us have been eating it since we were about 2 yrs old and never imagined it would be bad for us! So, as I was reading your post, it occurred to me that they ought to come up with Gluten Anonymous! Really! Or at least a gluten free support group because for most folks it really isn't easy giving up all this stuff. They have AA and OA. Why not GA? I checked at some of my local hospitals and none offer a CD or GF support group.