IT'S TIME

iVillage Member
IT'S TIME
Sat, 03-14-2009 - 5:20pm

Well its time for my flu shots..do you get flu shots..

my daughter got hers the other day,well now she has got the wort case of the flu she has ever had..does this happen to you?????

i have been getting them for awhile now and i have never had it like that..she is in bed with hers..I said she should ask her doctor why she is that way,if the shots are to prevent the flu

has anyone else had the same thing .....so i said i am not going over there till she is completely better,,and she sprays the whole place after with glen 20

what do you think...Lynne

Community Leader
Mon, 03-16-2009 - 7:49pm

My brother was a tech in a renal clinic for a while, and was required to be innoculated for EVERYTHING under the sun.

Photobucket
Administrator
Tue, 03-17-2009 - 9:56am
My mother once had a flu shot and two days later was in the hospital with the worst case of flu she's ever had. They told us it was purely coincidental but who really knows.

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-17-2009 - 10:34pm

Hello,yes i have heard that from a few people.lately.and they really got sick too..i was told they don't use the virus for the shots out here,.but people still go sick...what do they make it from then..ths is what i was told ..The fluvax's that we receive here do not contain any live virus components. It is also chemically altered so it is physically and chemically impossible to contract the flu from the vaccination. You can get other side effects, most of them mild and they only last 24 - 48 hours.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-18-2009 - 5:00am

Oh heck, I would bore everyone to tears

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-19-2009 - 4:40pm

Vaccines are vital- especially for the elderly, the young, and those with compromised immune systems.

Celiacs have compromised immune systems, especially before the damage heals. Even if you get the flu, it will usually be less severe. Now as to why some folks get flu symptoms...

Vaccines contain the dead virus that causes the condition. That way the immune system sees it, doesn't know that it's been made inviable, and starts making antibodies.

Three things could happen. One, a person can be exposed to a live virus that causes the flu symptoms around the time of the vaccine. In our hemisphere flu season is ending, so there's always a live flu strain somewhere.

Or the immune system could be overreacting to the dead virus.

Remember, the virus doesn't cause the symptoms. The immune system recognizes that there's a virus (or bacteria) in a certain part of the body. Flu viruses (of which there are thousands since they mutate constantly) attack the lungs, and multiply there. The immune system starts the nose running and triggers coughing to expel it, and a fever to kill it. So while the body is making antibodies to fight when it encounters a live virus, it sometimes acts as if it's a real threat.

Just like when we eat gluten the immune system thinks there's an invader in the intestines, causes constant inflammation to seal the colon walls so it can't get through, and because this protective step is constantly up the villi are damaged by the body's attempt to protect itself against... nothing that would hurt it.

Occasionally a batch has some live virus (option 3), but usually it is either a coincidence or an overly aggressive reaction by the immune system.

Jaseann

co-cl: Celiac Disease

Just because someone, even a doctor, says you look healthy doesn't mean it's all in your head. Just because someone hasn't heard of your condition doesn't mean it's not worth doing what you need to to treat it. You are the expert on your body. Take care of it!

Jaseann

co-cl-Celiac Disease

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-23-2009 - 6:27pm

Well i bite the bullet,i went and had my flu shot yesterday,

i had a good talk with my dr before doing so..we discussed many issues about them..Now over here they do not use live culture for the serum..

one thing she stated to me was this..she asked.. did i know if i could have been in contact with any one with cold or flu like symptoms i knew of .

she asked how lately had i been in a close shopping