Celiac?

iVillage Member
Celiac?
Mon, 03-16-2009 - 6:39pm

My DD is on a gluten-free diet for behavioral issues, but we never had her tested for celiac. I just did a quick search for celiac symptoms and found that irritability in kids can be a sign (which is exactly what she was dealing with...intense rage/irritability). I was looking it up today for myself because I just had reubens last night and then a left-over one this afternoon for lunch. I was just in so much intestinal pain and after looking up some of the symptoms that are associated with celiac disease, I have a lot of those symptoms. I'm not sure that I'm really wanting to go through the doctor at this point (I have a horrible doctor and am looking to switch, but it's not easy to switch providers in our area). The last time I had pain like this, they sent me for CT scans, ultrasounds, bloodwork (but they never tested for celiac, and I should have asked them to add that in) and nothing was found out of the ordinary. Things kind of settled down, but not completely.

At this point, we're also TTC and have been unsuccessful for over a year. Infertility seems to be one potential symptom of celiac. So, I'm thinking, is it ok to just decide to go gluten-free on my own, or should I be making an appointment with my awful doctor and ask them to write a script for bloodwork for celiac? I figure that it shouldn't hurt anything to just go ahead and go gluten-free, other than the fact that if I'm totally gluten-free, a blood test for celiac would be invalid, if I were to be tested.

Thanks for any thoughts and input you have. I definitely have lots of good GF recipes and have been doing plenty with a GF-diet for nearly a year and a half. We've just been having dinners as gluten-free with DD, but usually breakfast cereals and lunch-time meals are made separately and DH and I have been having non-GF bread for our lunches and non-GF cereals for breakfast. Now I can just make a couple tweaks and make my breakfast and lunch as GF for myself. It shouldn't be too hard.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot
iVillage Member
In reply to: _tmpavlac_
Wed, 03-18-2009 - 12:08am

Hello and welcome to the site..yes i would say go ahead and do gf/wf right now..you seem to have got a handle on it ..doing the research you have done..it should not harm anything ...my co host Jaseann is not formally diagnosed and she just knew something was wrong and went vegetarian as well as totally gf/wf and has not looked back one bit...my aunt found out the same thing..she went gf/wf some years ago and found she was so much better told her dr what she had done and how she was

and so he left her that way without doing the tests..but i would say once you do and you do feel better don't re have the gluten as it will only create problems...

if you are going to do gf/wf also don't have the ordinary bread..you must be totally gf/wf to feel any effect...

i'd say

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-18-2009 - 9:41am

Thank you so much for your warm reply. I'm already mourning the loss of gluten, even though I really shouldn't be. We've been doing gluten-free for dinners for so long, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I do know that I need to do gluten-free bread, if I want to have bread. I made sure to pick up extra of the gluten-free bread mix that I make for DD and got less of the "regular bread" for DH. It's just a matter of adjustment to the gluten-free bread-y items, since I'm not terribly fond of them. Everything else seems to be ok. Maybe it'll be ok, since I DO like the bread when it's super fresh and it seems as though I'll be making the bread more often than I was when I was using it just for DD.

Thank you for the advice. I'm still feeling icky, but not as bad as I was two and three days ago. I know it won't be a quick fix. I just have to be patient.

Maybe I'll share some good recipes we've tried and loved down below.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-19-2009 - 5:04pm

Hi!

Yes, when my aunt was diagnosed we didn't know that a trial of being GF would make blood tests difficult.

I'd been a vegetarian for 5 years already (and started the GF diet in '03).

A child's behavior with CD isn't only from discomfort. Because so many vitamins and minerals aren't absorbed well with active CD (that is, a celiac not on the diet or one who hasn't had time to heal) the brain doesn't get everything it should in terms of nutrients. I have ADHD, and as such have a higher risk of Alzheimers because of the lower blood flow to the frontal lobes. I don't use my meds every day, for various reasons, but one of the reasons I choose to use it occasionally is that the more normal blood flow that day offers some protection.

Now that may have nothing to do with your girl. But it shows how a small difference in what the brain gets over time can make a difference.

I have some major medical issues and because of them I will always get tired far more easily than others, but the year before my diagnosis was horrible. I was only a half-time college student, taking all my classes either in the morning or the afternoon and every other day (either taking all M-W-F or T-Th classes) and I was missing half of them! And I could only do the least possible studying to get by, eat, and collapse, watching TV or sleeping.

The pain in my belly had become constant as well. So when Aunty called Dad about this diet her doctor had put her on and described the symptoms that had vanished, I was suddenly both vegetarian (I do use limited eggs and dairy) and GF.

My results were so obvious, and I had been so desperately ill, that my parents and doctors would not think of putting me on gluten for 6 weeks so I could do the blood test. I wouldn't do it either if they wanted me to!

If you know what the diet is and are honest with yourself about it (not cheating to derail it- like saying the bit of wheat in the soy sauce can't matter or something like that-

Jaseann

co-cl-Celiac Disease

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-19-2009 - 9:02pm

Thank you so much Jaseann. Where do you get corn tortillas? Are they soft tortillas, like what you might make wrap sandwiches from? That sounds so much better than the gluten-free bread. And then I might be able to do quesadillas for my family with them. I know that's something my DD really enjoyed before going gluten-free and we haven't had them since. I'd love to be able to make something like that again.

Is it something that can be found in a typical grocery store, or do you have to go someplace special for something like that?

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot