What do you snack on?

iVillage Member
What do you snack on?
Thu, 04-02-2009 - 5:15pm
My daughter has celiac disease and is having a hard time w/ the diet.

p15296s1102107_33_0-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-02-2009 - 5:35pm
String cheese is a good option.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-02-2009 - 6:55pm

Here is what most of my family have if they feel the need to snack..

fresh fruit,fresh vegies,avacados ,sprinkled with lemon juice.

rice or corn cookies.we have tortilla snacks,suggestions for toppings..shredded lettuce,tomato slices,cucumber thinly sliced.and thin slices of lite soy cheese or feta cheese,

pure fresh fruit spread for crackers..dried fruit mix,of apricots,pear and dried mango slices,you can buy dried banana,apples,grapes,pineapples....

we have very little cake as snacks,

you could try muffins home baked,apple pan cakes,

corn fritters,all make with alternative flours,,make one large fritta and cut into peices as you want,my family love them... you can add all sorts of goodies and they combine them with fresh shakes or juices..and make a meal,

we have fish fingers we have cooked and have cold with salad...we also dice green or red apples which ever you like and make a bowl full of apple and pour coleslaw dressing over and mix have it cold,or eggs do the same,

if you like beet roots,then crate when cook and sprinle with vinegar or lemon your preferance...

we also have potato pancake or scones ....

we also make our own museli mix and snack on that....

well i hope this can be of help in some way....

cheers Lynne

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-02-2009 - 10:06pm

We like the Blue Diamond brand Nut Thins. We'll spread peanut butter or cream cheese on them or melt slices of cheese on them in the microwave.

Did you know that she can have Tostitos (tortilla chips)? Doritos (most flavors) are gluten free as well. Fritos are gluten-free. There are plenty of gluten-free cookie options out there as well. Kinnikinnik is a great brand, as are the Pamela's cookies or the Enjoy Life brand cookies. Foods By George has some brownies and some other goodies.

There are also some things candy-wise that are safe. There's a list out there of mainstream candy that is ok for gluten-free people to eat: http://www.harriswholehealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/gluten-free-candy-list-october-2008.doc

Hope that helps!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-06-2009 - 1:26pm

I try to snack healthy, but I can only take so many vegetables and fruit, so here are some snacks I enjoy that actually taste good or at least decent!!

Glutino pretzels are the best!
Kinnikinnick animal cookies
Lundberg honey dijon rice chips are very flavorful
Schar table crackers