Gluten-Free Easter

iVillage Member
Gluten-Free Easter
Wed, 04-08-2009 - 3:02pm

What are you cooking for Easter dinner?

I have to bring my own food to my family gathering and am looking for some ideas!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-08-2009 - 3:39pm

What's your family having for Easter dinner? Honeybaked hams are gluten free and now their glazed hams are as well. Hormel ham patties are gluten free (as are a lot of other Hormel products). Boar's Head ham is gluten free. I also like Sugardale ham...that's gluten-free as well. Most ham brands ARE gluten-free, but you can also do a google search for them. Just avoid most hams that come with glaze on them (although, like I said, Honeybaked's glazed ham is now gluten-free).

You can make your own mashed potatoes from scratch or use Betty Crocker's boxed potato buds.

What is the family doing for a veggie? Can you bring a veggie to share with everyone that you can eat as well?

Do you do anything non-traditional?

For dessert, you can make some gluten-free muffins. I know I used the Gluten-free pantry brand muffin/scone mix and made some apple muffins. I just peeled, cored, and finely diced two apples and threw the apple diced pieces into the mix and baked. They came out really yummy and the guest we had at our house for dinner that night ate two muffins. I never told him they were gluten-free either. :) He couldn't tell the difference. :)

There are so many gluten-free desserts out there that you can make, too, either from scratch, if you have all the flours and other ingredients, or boxed mixes.

Any other info you would like to share as far as family meal traditions? Maybe if we know what your family will be eating or what you like, we can help you out even more. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-08-2009 - 5:11pm

Oh wow,who could top this menue ooohhh yum ..my mouth is watering...

yes sadly we celiacs do have to do this where ever we go mainly with our families,untill they start cooking things for us and get to know the vast difference in the foods ..we have had to do this in our family for some time but now they all come to our place and we do nothing but cd foods and most who come that are not celiacs don't even know they are eating gf/wf foods..we put out a plate of ordinary for the non ies amongst us and we all know don't touch so its really easy for us..

but where i am we always have salads.potatoes.our hams and chickens and our fish...we bake our gf bikkies,and our cool drinks..and one or two snacks..cheers and a good and safe EASTER TO YOU ALL

CHEERS LYNNE

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 10:34am

They are eating ham, but they already bought a non gluten-free one.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 11:27am

Kinnikinnik does sell rolls of some sort. Do they make things free of dairy, eggs, and vinegar? I know that we got some "Grainless Baker" rolls and they contain apple cider vinegar, eggs, milk, and potato starch. Not sure how Kinnikinnik compares with their ingredients. I hope you can find something good as a substitute.

I'm not sure if Honeybaked makes small hams, but you might be able to get a bigger ham, cook it up, and then slice it and freeze smaller portions to pull out later on.

You said that you can't have potatoes, but how about sweet potatoes/yams? I posted a very yummy recipe for yams and apples in the recipe section below. That could be another yummy addition to your ham. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot