Cookies? Nope.

iVillage Member
Cookies? Nope.
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 3:39am

My allergist said to wait two weeks and try one food at a time to see if I reacted, and then I'd have a better idea what I can and can't eat. Well, since I got my boys their beloved cookie cake for Easter, I decided chocolate chip cookies, which I'm pretty sure is a food group, along with cake and ice cream, would be a good place to start. Now, let me tell you I've been to 2 parties this weekend, and had to pass up shrimp, cake, cookies, ice cream, and beer, plus lots of other things, and it sucked. Yes, I'm sorta working out this whole food allergy thing. Any way, if the sudden horrible nausea and over all icky feeling is any indication, then cookies are a "no." I guess I'm gonna have to pay like $6 for a tiny thing of gluten-free cookie mix.

Since I've been "off" the dairy, wheat, barley, etc., I've felt a whole lot better. Like half of my constant yucky feeling-ness is gone, so it's o.k. I'll just really have to work on loving carrots:) My poor husband went searching the house for a snack, looking for something "unhealthy." He had to go to the store. All that said, I'm still convinced that I'm allergic to broccoli, too, since I felt about as sick the last time I ate it. DH says it's just an excuse not to eat it, but.....

mcpayton
iVillage Member
In reply to: mcpayton_
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 10:12am

(((HUGS))) I'm sorry that you are feeling yucky! We have enjoyed Cherrybrook Kitchen's sugar cookies. We have made them two years in a row for Christmas time (and a couple other times in between). They don't roll out like typical sugar cookies, but that hasn't stopped us from making cookie cutter shapes. LOL! I just take a portion of the dough, flatten it with my hand to about 1/4 inch thickness right on the cookie sheet, press the cookie cutter into the dough, manually clear the excess dough from around the cookie, lift up the cookie cutter and voila! There's your cookie right there on the cookie sheet all ready for baking. Repeat for the rest of the dough.

Cherrybrook Kitchen also makes a gluten-free frosting mix. But, it's basically the same as if you just got yourself some powdered sugar, butter/margarine/shortening, milk/rice milk, and McCormick vanilla (theirs is gluten-free) and just mixed up your own frosting. The boxed frosting mix is just much more expensive than if you just used your own ingredients and made your own with the items you already keep in your house. LOL! :)

There are also some gluten-free sprinkles too. Just google search: Sprinkelz and you can come up with lots of places that have them. Our grocery store has an extensive gluten-free section and I can buy them there. Not sure if other health food stores carry them. But, you can also order them online. And a little goes a LOOOONG way. We bought two packages of them (they have the Carnival kind, that are like non-pereils and they have the long skinny sprinkles too). Each package has two pouches of sprinkles and we have yet to even finish one little pouch out of the 4 we have...and we've done cookies AND cupcakes.

I can post a good cupcake/birthday cake recipe I use (found it on someone else's gluten-free blog). SOOOO Yummy...not sure if it's safe for your allergy diet, but I'm sure substitutions can be made for dairy, eggs, etc...whatever you're allergic to. I just can't remember what everyone is allergic to in addition to the gluten/wheat allergies.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 6:15pm

Yes cherrybrook kitchen here is the web site..its great

http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/

lots of gluten free goodies...check it out

cheers LYNNE

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 10:55pm
Some other cookies that we like (that are already pre-made) are the Enjoy Life brand soft-baked cookies. That's about the only thing from Enjoy Life that we like. But, Enjoy Life brand is allergen-free...most of the common allergens are avoided in their production facilities.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-14-2009 - 4:28am
Sounds yummy!
mcpayton