Where does your food come from?

iVillage Member
Where does your food come from?
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 3:04pm

I'm sure a lot of very new people coming here would love to know even of your one find, so even if you can only say you found one item at a certain store, someone will be glad to know that they can go to their local store and know that, if they aren't carrying it, they'd be able to order it for you (so tell what as well as where!)

Now I just entered Year 6 of being strictly GF. My mother is amazed at the variety of good food I make. She made mostly Midwestern US standards- chicken with several variations, meatloaf... (I stopped eating meat the day I started college and yes, I'd had really good meat dishes loved by everyone... but I didn't think much of them and even giving up bacon, for me, wasn't hard...

I don't get upset at others eating meat but I personally can't imagine doing so.)

And the usual fairly plain canned and frozen veggie sides, and canned fruit except in summer, when some was fresh... the salads mostly iceberg, tomato, and carrots...

Our local major grocery chain is Hy-Vee. It has this great "Health Mart" section in each store. They were setting up the one at the nearest store when we moved across town and the manager took our number and also told us to call any time we had an idea.

I get my bread mix and the occasional baking mix in the GF shelves- half of the aisle (maybe a quarter of a long one elsewhere). In that section, cereals and other items that happen to be GF, whether organic rice noodles or whatever, have a little blue label by them.

You can make any store better by requesting products and showing you're a loyal customer who would rather spend locally, but will order food elsewhere if you need to. Considering how much you can order delivered these days, that idea has power. Wheat is one of the top 8 allergens, and that's not even counting the celiacs! A lot of GF food is made with other allergies in mind as well. Like eggs, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, and most of the rest of the list (sure, not much help for the fish and shellfish allergic, but it is a start!)

I purchase more in produce, though. And dairy. Aunty buys milk, plain and natural yogurt (no preservatives, which she has some trouble with though not from CD), and cheese- most from the dairy section but we do get some from the deli (pre-wrapped before going to the store so any bread product there can't hurt it). But that's the stuff like the good Parmesan (okay, the second-best Parm in the store- can't afford the $14 one) that we grate a little bit of on the food at the end because it's

Jaseann

co-cl-Celiac Disease

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 6:32pm

Well where does my food come from....now where do i start..mmmmmmm...first up tons from my own garden

as i have already said we have a herb garden,i should say pots,thats the easy way,and always fresh...

we have numerous fruit trees,and yes vegies in a big square pot,you can grow carrots,tomatoes,beets,lettuce,

we buy the harder vegies at out local fresh week end market.for our potatoes we have a large barrell which we set very year you fill with potting mix plant your few eye potatoes,and then when ansd after the flowers have died you dig..you canhave them all year round...

i make all our baked goods..i also buy online some extra bread mixes,cookie.etc...

mostly now a lot of supermarkets stock gf/wf food..asian stores stock the alternative flours,one needs,,,

and as Jaseann has said if you can;t find in your local store

i go armed with contact info of places to give the store for them to order in gf/wf products...

plus my phone number if they need more or to tell when food has arrived...

not much more i can say ..very much same as jaseann has already quoted

cheers LYNNE

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 9:29pm

I buy big bags of masa lista corn flour , from some people who sell tortillas at the markets ; they also have big bags of red kidney beans , which

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 11:15pm

Jaseann, my grocery store is like yours...VERY well stocked with gluten-free items. Plus, I've done a lot of research on what items from the other grocery aisles are gluten-free that we can enjoy (Tortilla chips with salsa, Lay's potato chips and Bison dip, etc). I know those aren't the healthiest choices, and I SHOULD take the time to make some of those things myself, but I just don't have the desire to make EVERYTHING from scratch, so our store's salsa and some other brands of chip dip are what we end up going with when we need snacks of that sort...which thankfully isn't TOO often). I find myself shopping more in the produce section, but I especially love my produce shopping in the summer! We get lots of items from local farms and it's SO much better, more flavorful, than the imported stuff. Our grocery store has also made a point of labeling every one of their store brand products with codes for people with various health needs. They label items that are "Whole Grain," "Gluten-free," "High Fiber," "Low Sodium," "Lactose-free" ETC. It makes looking at the mainstream store aisles so much easier. You can look at the label and look for the "G" (meaning Gluten-free) and know that they have worked with their supplier and their supplier can GUARANTEE that the product has no gluten.

I'm also very blessed at this point in time that MY grocery store (it's a chain, but the store *I* shop at in the chain) has a Natural Foods manager who is also gluten-free. She is a wealth of knowledge, she's someone I talk to almost on a weekly basis. She's opened up packages of product for me to sample before committing to buy. Last week she GAVE me a product for free. It was a new line of desserts she just ordered into her cooler. SO awesome! I've talked to her about certain products that I have tried (things my mom has bought for us from her health food store near where she lives) or things I've seen ordered at another store in the chain that I'm not seeing there at our home store. Sometimes she takes my suggestions into account and other times I don't see my suggestions, but I always know there are other places to go in my community to buy the items I need, or I call up my mom and ask her to pick up some items from her health food store and hang onto them until we visit with them or if it's going to be a while, she'll sometimes ship the items to me, if it's feasible to transport the item in that manner.

I will say that I wish I could garden, but at this point, I have to get rid of the two trees in my back yard so that I can have sun for a garden. I have a spot where I COULD put a garden without taking out the trees, but it's so close to the highway (we have a highway just on the other side of our back-yard fence) that I think I would prefer to have my food that I'm going to consume a little closer to my house than to the stinky cars. ;) We have to remove the trees in the back yard anyway because they are both dying. We had a nasty storm a couple years ago and we've lost many many limbs and every windstorm we get since then, more and more and bigger and bigger limbs are falling off of the trees. We're afraid that the root systems are becoming compromised and one of these times, the wind is going to blow and at least one of the trees will come down on top of our house. Poor trees. :( But, until we take down those trees, I won't get to have a garden. I just wish we had a little bigger plot of land. *sigh*

I'm just so grateful for the internet. I have done SOOO much research on what foods we can and can't eat. It's so nice to have a member of the family call up and say, "Can you all have XXXX brand?" and I can google search the brand name and "gluten free" afterward and usually come up with a yes or no answer pretty quickly. So, even though my food doesn't really come from ordering online, lots of my food ideas come from there and then I go and find what I need at my grocery store, or I make my own substitutions if I can't find exactly what I need at the store. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-16-2009 - 5:03pm

Hi, Tee!

I think that's a great store- what type is it? In other word's what's the chain name, so others can see if they can find one?!? Like those in my part of the Midwest can look for a Hy-Vee, and the Australians can look for the stores mentioned in the other posts...

Ever hear what Wal--Mart does? It has a ton of things labeled "gluten free", my aunt says. Most of them are the regular produce, dairy, and meat that anyone who has any idea of what they're doing knows is safe, though, and she has found relatively few things, at least at the store she went to down in Kentucky (she worked second shift and lived in a small town, so she'd get off work at midnight and it was the only 24 hour store in a concievable grocery-shopping distance) that would really be considered GF by most stores- meaning the bread, cereal, and other grain-based items that we can eat!

I already planned a new discussion that fits a lot of what I'd also say to your post, so I'll leave it at that! Take care,

Jaseann

co-cl: Celiac Disease

Just because someone, even a doctor, says you look healthy doesn't mean it's all in your head. Just because someone hasn't heard of your condition doesn't mean it's not worth doing what you need to to treat it. You are the expert on your body. Take care of it!

Jaseann

co-cl-Celiac Disease

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 10:00am
It's a regular grocery chain called Wegmans. They're in NY, VA, PA, MD, NJ, and are going to be in MA pretty soon. Definitely a great store who caters to people with various health needs.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-18-2009 - 1:09am
Being a vegetarian, Most of mine is from my local farmers market. And some that are not in season are from my local Safeway Grocery Store Frozen Organic and fresh Organic . Even the dried beans is from My local Farmers Market. And my non dairy products and special breads and olive oil is bulk and agave syrup herbal coffees are from my Health food store- "Rainbow Coop". But, I still have to buy meat for Hubby. So I get that from My local Safeway. I buy the grass fed specialized meat for him. Otherwise he buys his own Chinese foods from his favorite restaurant.

. Have a wonderful day from our family to yours.
Sunnyafternoons