What's the difference???

iVillage Member
What's the difference???
Sat, 04-18-2009 - 10:26pm
What's the difference between potato starch and potato flour? I'm guessing they can't be interchanged? Same thing with Tapioca starch and Tapioca flour?
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-19-2009 - 12:52am

Tapioca flour and tapioca starch are the same thing. Both are made from the cassava root that has been processed, dehydrated and finely ground to create a very fine powder. It is mainly used as a thickener in this form.

Potato starch is however different than potato flour. Potato flour is the potato, cooked, dehydrated and finely ground. It is slightly yellow or off white in colour. Potato starch is just the starch of the potato that is processed from the potato. It is very fine, white, powdery and dissolves easily. Both can be used for thickening but the results will be different, it’s the difference between using flour or cornstarch as a thickener.

Think of the diffference between potato flour and potato starch as the same as corn flour and cornstarch.

To complicate things a bit, if you come across something called “potato starch flour,” it is the same as potato starch.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-19-2009 - 12:53am

THE SAME THING CONFUSED ME EARLY ON AS WELL CHERS LYNNE

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-19-2009 - 8:02am
Thanks, Lynne! I have to see what I have in my cupboard. I know I have Tapioca FLOUR, but I can't remember if it's Potato STARCH or Potato FLOUR that I have. I hope it's the flour, since that seems to be something that might get used a little more frequently. :)
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 5:40pm

Actually, you'll probably use the potato starch more than potato flour.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 6:07pm

Hi again ...you know i have only ever

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 11:13pm
Thanks. It turns out that I DO have the potato starch. But, I was looking at the recipe below for banana bread and it calls for potato flour and tapioca flour. The tapioca flour I have. The potato flour, I do not. I also only have the brown rice flour, so I was figuring that I could just do 2 cups of the brown rice flour and call it good for that. Any suggestions on what to sub for the potato flour? Or should I just see if I can find that at my store? Not sure yet whether I want to buy a whole package of potato flour if I'm not necessarily going to use it all that often. So, if there's a good sub for it, then I'm open to using a sub.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot