Making comfort food tonight - soup

iVillage Member
Making comfort food tonight - soup
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 3:20pm

Well, my kids have been back in school for exactly one week and the whole house has already come down with a cold. :( I'm making potato & leek soup tonight and thought I'd share the recipe:

http://www.ivillage.com/leek-and-potato-soup/3-r-64723

What do you all make for time when you're sick, or just for comfort food?

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 7:49pm

That depends on for who(m) when sick - when ds was here, he would just want broth from the can. For me, it's usually saltines, lemon-lime soda of some sort, chicken soup. For dh, he usually just likes to hibernate.

Comfort food also depends on who(m) - I'd hazard a guess that ds18's choice would be my homemade chili or something simple like Papa John's pizza. DH likes what he calls 'Bohemian food' as that's what he grew up with (bread dumplings, liver dumpling soup, breaded pork, etc.) or the Polish food my mom used to make (cabbage and beans, potato dumplings, Polish sausage, etc.) - I can skip all that. I'd have to say my mom's homemade chicken noodle soup was comfort food, and I liked things like her 'poison cake' (a Polish holiday yeast cake with golden and black raisins, with a streusel top).

Sue

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 1:13am

For comfort food I like grilled cheese sandwiches, mashed potatoes with sausages, and escalloped turkey (or chicken) with noodles.

I made potato leek soup last winter when it was cold, yum. Here it isn't cool enough yet for a dish like that.

Did you get the cold too Kellie? I hope that everybody recovers quickly.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 1:20pm
Thanks elc! Yes, we've all been hit, unfortunately. I've been taking lots of zinc and drinking those Emergen-C drinks so I only had one day of being completely miserable. I'm on the upswing now I think.
Photobucket

Photobucket