14yo son being tested

iVillage Member
14yo son being tested
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 10:11am

Our 14yo son had blood drawn yesterday to test for Celiac. He's been having stomach problems for months. Sometimes just an achy feeling, other times he has mild diarrhea or will throw up (not too often). He also has some mild heartburn, and the doc did put him on Prilosec for that. He's missed about 12 days of school since going back after winter break because of his stomach symptoms. So I guess we'll see what the test results show. I have to say, the thought of going gluten free around here scares the heck out of me! My 16yo is a carb craver! lol He also has ADHD and bipolar disorder (carb cravings are common in bipolar people). *sigh* I guess I'll wait until the tests are back to worry about it. It's a bit overwhelming. I do know it's possible, though. I have friends with gluten sensitivities and had a 3yo daycare child that was eventually diagnosed with Celiac (after she'd left my care--they moved but mom kept in touch). She was always complaining of her stomach hurting, but she was a very sensitive child and we all just thought it was nerves, including her doctor at the time.

I just thought I'd check out this board to see what I may be in for. I frequent some other iVillage boards (child care providers, homeschooling, family Christian life, foster care, adoption), so I may see some familiar "faces". :)

siggy pink

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
siggy pink

Administrator
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 9:17am

Hi Cathy and welcome.

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 3:08pm
Thanx for the link, Karla. It's hard to find good information because there's just so much out there! It's overwhelming just to start. If he does end up having Celiac, we'll deal with it just like we roll with everything life throws at us. I like to be informed, though. :)
siggy pink

siggy pink

Administrator
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 3:16pm
Oh boy do I ever know about too much information. Several years ago my youngest was diagnosed with developmental delays and I scared myself silly with information overload. I did, however, stumble into iVillage (and I've been here ever since) and find a great message board with other mothers who helped my whole family cope with it all. Since then, I've learned to check the boards here first, get referrals and go from there. ;)

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-15-2010 - 8:14pm

Hello Kathy,and welcome,sorry about the delay in answering,had a few medical problems ourselves,but back to see whats doing..so sorry to hear about your difficulties,but to me he sounds as if he is typical celiac..ok first up dont panic about going gf/wf all the others with their difficulties can safely go gluten free with him

and have no problems...you can make every one the same meal...without going to any trouble..please let me know the results of the test and i will only be too happy to help you with things,to make everything less stressful...please check out every section here and especially the recipes...also if you want extra food you can buy and order online to start to get you use to know whats what ..Tee here has wonderful ideas and recipes,check out her blog everything is helpful with this diet...anything you need to know post up and i will endeavour to help you out...take care for now ..hope to hear again from you soon cheers Lynne

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-19-2010 - 2:57pm

The doctor's office called today and all Randy's tests came back "normal". So apparently it's not celiacs. I have to say I'm relieved, but still confused as to what it is. They said they want to see him back in a month. He's supposed to have his yearly physical next month anyway, so we'll just see them then. I wish I knew what the problem is.

Thanx for all the links, suggestions and such.

siggy pink

siggy pink

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-19-2010 - 6:24pm

Dear KATHY,OH i am glad ,but there is a but,here,some times it takes two or three tests for a positive result,i myself think when he goes for his test physical they should do another celiac test....and sees what the result is...with a second..

maybe he should have a stool test done even a biopsy as well,or maybe an endoscope to look at the villi of the bowel,if they are damaged in anyway it points to celiac...

but most important he must be eating gluten,if he has obstained from eating gluten at this stage it can effect the tests for a good result..i do hope they canm get to the bottom of things quickly.please keep us informed cheers Lynne