Newbie here and need a little help!

iVillage Member
Newbie here and need a little help!
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 10:16pm
Ok everyone has been where I am at some point and I could really use some advice...Im a newbie and have been doing fairly well in my first 2 weeks of my GF diet..Well tonite I made taco's...There didnt appear to be any suspicious ingredients in the ingredient listed on the corn tortillas(which were labeled gluten free)..There were also no indications of gluten in anything else I used but I got horribly sick.I do have a very minor lactose intolerance but can usually handle cheese just fine so I dont think it could be the lactose.Any ideas?

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 10:29pm

Did you put anything in with your taco meat? Seasoning? I stay away from those seasonings and often opt for either nothing or, if I need to have something, I'll get Ortega's taco sauce or I'll mix salsa with the meat. Did you have sour cream? I'd check the ingredients on that. I got sick one time and then found out that the sour cream my parents had gotten for the food at a party they hosted contained "Modified Food Starch".

I'm not sure what else you put into your tacos (we do ground beef, sour cream, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and salsa). Not sure what else you might add to yours that might have caused a problem. What brand salsa do you use? You might want to check ingredients. I know that Pace won't guarantee that theirs is gluten-free, but Tostitos brand is ok.

I hope you can figure it out. If there are other ingredients that you use, let us know what you used and what brand and maybe we can help you out.

Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lots of gluten-free recipes: http://www.glutenfreebeginnings.info
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-29-2010 - 1:05am

Hi i tend to agree with Tee on this,and you know sometimes we think we can handle the milk intolerance,but it can become worse over time even while on the gf/wf diet..

i have it and sometimes i suffer more thanb other times..i guess it how our whole body is reacting at that time..i have to be totyally milk and daiiry free if i want to be well as well as gf/wf..so for awhile you may just have to be gf/wf and mf/df and see how you react..at times we just have totry things ourselves,its a nuisance but to feel well thats our life..cheers Lynne

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-29-2010 - 7:59am
Thanks for the reply's...I again went over all the ingredients in my dinner and the only thing that could have caused that reaction would be the cheese unless there was a significant amount of cross contamination.I am going to speak to my dietician on Monday about going completely dairy free as well...I did purchase a cookbook that actually covers most food allergies...The Kids ADHD cookbook...Yes I know its a kids cook book but it has lots of good recipes and clearly states which recipes include which allergens.I'm hoping to avoid another disaster over the holiday because it would be a bummer if I had to miss the parades and BBQ's.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-29-2010 - 9:23pm

Yes some of the best cook books are written for kids..

my daughter has 4 so far and gets some fantastic