C Reactive Protein

iVillage Member
C Reactive Protein
Mon, 05-31-2010 - 12:41am
Hi, I am new to this site. I have been on a gluten-free diet for a year, having found out I have celiac disease. I am also a vegetarian and lactose intolerant.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 2:10am

Hello and welcome to our site ..yes chocolate is my down fall also but you can get gf/wf chocolate ..www.cadburys have them..so glad you are here..please post up if you ever need anything

a lot of people might not know what a crp test is here is what it is for those that do not know

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 11:42pm
Yes, arthritis can cause the test results to be elevated, but it is not specific to arthritis. As gluten can inflame the intestinal tract, with such an improvement over the year of avoiding gluten, I believe that was the source in this case. I'm not an expert in CRP, but a high result can also be a problem for the heart if cholestral levels and blood pressure is high.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 5:49pm

Hi yes that is right.that is why things at times are so hard to diagnose

in certain cases,and yes gluten can effect a lot ..i remember once when i was first studying a indian prof/dr who was here told me once in the very early studying ,,said just remember gluten is like poisen,and treat it as such..

my husband suffers with it as you severe pains

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-03-2010 - 1:03am
I didn't know there were so many different symptoms. I read at one time that the thyroid can be affected also. I had half mine removed about 12 years ago, about the same time I was starting to experience more severe symptoms. I always had bad stomach aches as a child, but no one ever tried to experiment with different foods (oldest of 10, no time for experimenting!) I figured out I was lactose intolerant on my own, but the gluten light bulb didn't go on until last year, diagnosed by my doctor after years of searching for answers to the bloating and digestive miseries. I had gotten to the point of eating anything was painful. I was disappointed that the diet change did not improve the constipation problem though. That also started at the time my thyroid was swelling (part of it died, for "unknown reasons").
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-03-2010 - 6:06pm

You were talking about constipation,well i have many on my list that are the same,so what i suggest as a tip for that is,get pitted prunes and have a couple every morning with breakie,it does help soften things..not a lot just a few each day ..or get prune juice and have a glass or a half glass each morning..see how that goes..it could help ..lets know how it goes...i have it also ..my grand babies love it...if you have too much welllll be careful ..he.he.he lol

cheers LYNNE

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-03-2010 - 10:18pm
I tried prunes and um, just got very...gassy. I've tried everything. The only thing that seems to work is cascara sagrada (I know, I know, it's a laxative, and Dr.'s frown on that, but nothing else works). I'm sure there is a reason this is happening, but Dr.'s don't really take this seriously.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-04-2010 - 5:42pm

Yes, you are right the dr's dont' take it seriously enough...and my thoughts, if the cascara works then i' myself would keep taking..i know drs dont like using

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-04-2010 - 10:50pm

I do take it every day, and know just how much to take to not be a problem. I'm miserable if I don't take it regularly--I have stretch marks from being bloated and constipated, so just have to take it. I know a Dr. would laugh at me for my assertion that it helps prevent colon polyps. I had colon cancer years ago, and had to have surgery and chemo. I did have polyps one time after that. Never since I have taken the cascara. Would be an interesting study for some scientist maybe.

Thanks for your positive feedback. It's nice to hear from someone who has to deal with celiac disease too.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-05-2010 - 6:42pm

You are so very welcome,and any time you feel like chatting just pop along i am always here...YES it would be interesting study i must give my grand daughter a call she has loads of friends at uni,that are doing just that,i might see what they think,thanks for the idea..i am always thinking of things to ask, it might surprise us both what they might come up with that can help others in this situation..

so i'll see if they can research it out there at the uni,

there a lots of things the darn drs cant be bothered with,i have had them even tell my clients that thats not right,when in fact it is,,so i guess they just dont know everything,i have found over the years,some nurses i know ,know more than the drs themselves,laugh isnt it

when you think of the money spent for them to know..

i have even had them read certain test wrong and when they change drs they find out they had certain things all along,so i find always that a second opinion never hurts anyway..stay tuned

cheers Lynne

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-06-2010 - 12:31am

I suppose we have a tendency to think Dr's should know everything, and that would be impossible. With the medical stuff I have been through, I know that for patients who are really involved in their care and learn all they can, it's possible to know some things the Dr. doesn't know. I had a Dr. try to prescribe cholestral meds, but with some books in hand, I made changes in my diet and started exercising, and brought it down to normal by myself.