Hidden Glluten

iVillage Member
Hidden Glluten
Thu, 06-03-2010 - 2:40pm
I've been suffering from getting glutened for several weeks. I know it's not in my diet and I've been struggling to identify where it is coming from. I have narrowed it down to possibly being in one of the drugs I take for other autoimmune diseases. It started about the same time as refills from the company's new drug plan arrived. Today I called the drug company and they were very helpful. The pharmasist check every drug's ingredients. We weren't able to identify gluten/gluten derived ingredients in any. But, the manufactures all stated that the drugs could be manufactured on contaminated equipment ;( . So, then we discussed which drugs I could safely stop for a few days to see if I can get relief. I was amazed at how helpful she was.
Wish me luck!
Wendy in NM
iVillage Member
In reply to: wendy157
Thu, 06-03-2010 - 6:00pm

Yes,i have had to be wary of my drugs,also ..my dr checks some how each time he prescribes a new med for me..he goes to a book for ref..i guess you could ask the dr are they gf/wf..to see if he knows..

but you say you have checked,i guess maybe there is contamination,somehow..pretty sad though if that is happening,

so far when my doc says they are gf/wf i have been very fortunate that i have had no trouble,....lets hope you get to the bottom of things very quickly..fingers crossed ..cheers LYNNE

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 3:43pm
Last week I discussed ingredients in my meds with the mail order pharmacist. None listed any gluten ingredients. so, this weekend, I stopped all of them until my tummy felt better. Sunday morning I took the more important one. Sick within 2hr. today I didn't take it and feel better. Called the pharmacist and they are putting no generic for that med in my file and sending me a new batch of the non generic.
YEAH!
Wendy in NM
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 5:35pm

Hi you know may be it was the generic brand that was making you sick

i am going to ask my dr

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 5:49pm

Lynne,
The pharmacist and I went over all the ingredients, and nothing sounded like gluten or gluten deriviatives. She said they process different meds on the same machines, so most likely cross contamination.

Wendy in NM

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 3:11am

AAAH ,WELL THAT IS GOOD TO KNOW...I AM STILL WONDERING THOUGH IF NOT