new and feeling icky

iVillage Member
new and feeling icky
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 11:44pm
I have been sick off and on for 3 yrs and after testing for things such as diabetes,MS,STD's and lupus and a whole bunch of other things my tests have come back and indicated that I am sensitive to gluten..I have not had an biopsy done but the doc said with the positive bloods I should avoid gluten anyway even if I dont have full blown celiac.Well here I am.The solution sounds easy when you say it out loud..Avoid Gluten..but doing it is so hard..I keep accidently glutenizing myself with things that I wouldnt assume contain gluten.I want to feel better so I know I need to get a handle on this.How long did it take everyone to get on track with a gluten free diet?Can you still eat out?Has anyone found a decent bread?LOL...I found one that is actually pretty good but expensive..Ive tried a few homemade ones and they were horrible.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-26-2010 - 5:49pm

First hello and welcome...Right bloods test ok,if he says avoid gluten from the bloods then you are full blown...

right seeing you are finding it hard,this is how i would handle it...you avoid all goods like breads, biscuits, scones,cakes and gravies,stews and soups thickened with flours..you have nothing made with wheaten flours.remember wheat,rye,barley and oats all contain gluten..so anything with these or theuir bi products are out of your diet....you must read all food labels.only buy things with the gluten free written on it,buy corn flour,rice flour,potato flour, amaranth flours to start...these alternative flours are what you use at all times...there are others but you will get to know them all as time goes buy..

i start most of my clients on this way..fresh fruits,vegetables,lean meat.chicken and fish.plenty of fresh salads,juices,and lots of water...clear soups and stews..if you must thicken then use pure maize corn flour or arrowroot flour it does the same...

check your instant coffee as it may contain

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-27-2010 - 11:23am
Thanks bunches...I purchased a cookbook for easy gluten free meals so that helps and have been doing a lot of wandering around the store reading labels in my free time so I can kind of get a handle for things I can have and where they are.Its still hard to believe that after 3+ yrs of feeling icky they finally found the cause and its not even close to the diagnosis I almost got..WOW..I know there will be slip ups but I'll take it one meal at a time.Thanks again.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-28-2010 - 7:13pm

Hello again,yes a good cook book is very handy..i found bette hagman books the best,as she was a celiac herself..i have most of hers..i told all my rellies and friends if they wanted to buy me a present for birthdays or xmas thats what i wanted..in fact i went onto amazon and got names and told them what i had and wanted..they all come in handy..

love your spirit.about it ..soo good on you..

yes you have your ups and downs,but the more we go on

the more healthier we become..its amazing after a while you dont notice

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-03-2010 - 10:33pm

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5432178/glutenfree_breakfast_ideas.html?cat=22

you are right..u really have to read labels carefully..here are some breakfast ideas for gluten-free at least.