new and pregnant

iVillage Member
new and pregnant
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 8:39am

I am recently diagnosed with celiac disease, and I feel awful.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 11:07pm

Hello and welcome to the board..

oh you poor love..well its hard to say really because being pregnant

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 1:57pm

Eating gluten-free doesn't have to be horrible-tasting or boring. You can check out my blog (link in my signature) for some really yummy ideas. I've just adapted what I used to make into gluten-free recipes that taste equally yummy, just by substituting gluten-free ingredients for the gluteny ones. :) We still do plenty of pasta (we use Tinkyada rice pasta, which actually doesn't mush up like wheat-based pasta can if you cook it too long), we do rice, I use Betty Crocker's potato buds most of the time when I do potatoes because I just have almost no patience to make mashed potatoes from scratch. There are cereals out there (Chex, being one of them) that are gluten free and they state it in big print right on the box. There are some slightly more pricey cereals that are both organic and gluten-free, and we buy those most often in our house simply because they are good tasting and good for our bodies. We do a LOT of fresh fruits and veggies. This is my favorite time of year because there is SO much fresh produce to buy at the store, and it's all decently priced.

Definitely shop the perimeter of your store for most of your items. Those are your fresher items and least likely to contain any gluten. We do 100% juices and plenty of organics to avoid the chemicals and any other "extras", such as fruits, veggies, yogurts.

We have found a bread that we can live with, called Shar brand - it's pre-made, pre-packaged. It's stupidly expensive, but I'll buy it. I've also got a bread machine and I will bake my own bread, using Gluten Free Pantry's brand of bread mix. I think the G-F Pantry bread is the yummiest G-F bread I've found, but it definitely is more time consuming (have to either make it by hand and bake it in your oven or put it in to be made in a bread machine).

There is so much out there now that is gluten-free. Definitely check out my blog for some ideas, though. :)

Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lots of gluten-free recipes: http://www.glutenfreebeginnings.info
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot