Cause of Gluten Allergies Pinpointed

Administrator
Cause of Gluten Allergies Pinpointed
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 9:01am
From LiveScience:

When patients with celiac disease consume foods containing gluten — a protein present in wheat, barley and rye — their immune systems send out an alarm, triggering a response that can damage their intestines and prevent them from absorbing certain nutrients.

Now, scientists have pinpointed the culprits most responsible for this harmful reaction: three small fragments within the gluten protein that spark chaos in the gut.

This knowledge may lead to better diagnosis of the disease and to the development of new therapies, the researchers say. Currently, the only treatment is for patients to remove all gluten-containing foods (such as bread, pasta, pizza and cookies) from their diets.

Researcher Pinpoint Cause of Gluten Allergies.

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 7:47pm

The protein that celiacs cant tolerate is the gluten..it effects the villi of the bowel...one must abstain from all food not just some but all foods containing gluten..

once the diet has been started one must stay on this diet for life.if one decides to go off it it means going backwards and the body then suffers 10 fold,till the recommencement of the diet again..left untreated one can suffer from life threatening diseases such as cancer,cancerof the stomach,cancer of the bowel to name just some..

its a diet one must adhere to very strictly,and watch and read all labels,continue to monitor all of ones eating..

must tell friends and family of the whole new eating change they must adhere too..what they can and cant have..what it does and how sick one gets after digesting this gluten..

some are very sensitive to gluten and react almost immediately other it may take a day or so as it digests in the body..then you can also from the skin type or have both..the sjkin type is a very itchiy red rash that appears after one has consumed or that may come in contact with the skin,it resembles a very bad case of excemea,or itchy

Administrator
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 8:34am
I'm actually surprised at how many people I know IRL who have gluten allergies and I'm starting to see more and more packages marked gluten-free at the grocery. Is it just easier to diagnose now or is it becommming more common a problem you think?

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 5:44pm

I really think because drs are starting to realize its more

prevalent than what they had realized,they are starting to send more for diagnosis,than just guessing..as they once did..and of course those suffering