Jumping to conclusions?

iVillage Member
Jumping to conclusions?
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 3:00am

First time posting here...in looking for something to help my psoriasis, I stumbled across a relationship with gluten intolerance. After reading some more about Celiac disease, it's making me wonder. I also just last night discovered that my "perfect" serum cholesterol actually falls just inside the unusually low range and is associated with a number of health issues--and that unusually low cholesterol can occur with CD. The collection of "issues" I have, along with my past response to a low-carb diet and this recent knowledge make me wonder if I may have some form of CD.

My list of issues includes frequent gas and bloating, psoriasis, chronic rhinitis, anxiety/depression, frequent headaches, occasional migraines, and mysterious rashes that seem to be related to the sun. I also tend to retain a lot of water. Additionally, I felt my best during the two years I was on Atkins. At the time I attributed it to controlling hypoglycemia, but now I'm wondering if it was because I wasn't eating much wheat.

Also, my last cholesterol reading (159) came after two years of Atkins followed by three years of terrible eating--I went back to school full-time--which I would think should have pushed my cholesterol up high. 159 is the highest number I've ever had for my total cholesterol.

I hate to sound like a hypochondriac, but I feel like a have this cluster of issues, many of which converge when I look at CD.

Because of the anxiety disorder, doctors tend to disregard my concerns about any non-obvious health issues, so I'm reluctant to bring this up until I have a better sense of how likely it is.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 10:18pm

If you want to ask the doctor to test you, go right ahead. But, if you aren't sure whether the doctor would test you, then maybe give the gluten-free diet a try. You would have to be pretty strict with the diet for probably at least 2-3 months (preferably at least 6 months) to see if it's making a difference.

I personally have not been diagnosed with Celiac. I put my daughter on the diet 3 years ago because of behavior/intense rage (in a 4 year old!) and about a year and a half ago, I went gluten-free because I was having a lot of the digestive issues and had had enough and decided to go gluten-free. My daughter's (former) doctor didn't like my idea of gluten being a cause of her behavior issues (she thought we were poor parents) and told me that if I wanted to put her on the diet, then at least it was healthy, but that we needed to change our parenting. Of course, I changed pediatricians and my parenting style hasn't changed, but I now have a happy, healthy, non-rage-filled 7 year old who doesn't hate herself or want to kill herself (yes, at age 3 and again at age 4, she said that...and I have NO idea where she got those words or ideas from). I have a child who loves life. She's not perfect, but she definitely isn't so rage-filled. I learned that Celiac Disease can manifest itself in children through intense behavior problems.

Anyway, long story short...if you want to give it a try, it's not a diet that will hurt you. It IS very healthy. If it works, then stick with it. If it doesn't help, then you can try another avenue. I've also heard that going gluten-free can ease some anxiety as well! :) I just tell medical professionals (like when I needed a surgical procedure done a couple months ago) that I am gluten-intolerant, but haven't been diagnosed with Celiac. I told one nurse that and she said, "hey, if it makes you feel better and eating gluteny products causes you problems, then stay away from them!"

If you need some ideas to get started, I have some great ideas in my blog (see my siggy)

Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lots of gluten-free recipes: http://www.glutenfreebeginnings.info
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 12:08am

Thank you for the reply...I think I'll just go ahead an try a GF diet. In the past I've felt loads better when I stopped eating grains, So I'll try it for a while eating brown rice, but no wheat, and see what happens.

My doctor would probably order a test if I asked her to, but then there's the issue of the lab she uses not being covered by my insurance company (I know, I need to get that sorted).

I'm glad to hear things got better for your daughter. How awful to know there's something wrong and just be told you're a bad parent. :(

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 6:51pm

Hello and welcome..sorry i was away when you posted but thanks to our Friend Tee for answering you ...yes i totally agree with what Tee has said,so if you want to follow this. it sound like you need to do something,its horrible to be crook and not feeling good,so give it a go and anything else you need just post up as we are here to help you..also some of those symptoms you state you have are very relevant to the situations..

Yes i suffer from both types of cd...the internal and the skin type and when i use any product containing gluten i

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 8:32pm

I'm just going to do it. I'm lucky...my neighborhood in Manhattan has one of those little grocery stores that carries a lot of hard to find things and they have oodles or gluten-free foods. Pastas, cookies, crackers. Don't know about breads, but I can use crackers for sandwich-type substitutes.

I've been needing a dietary shakeup for a while now. I've been feeling "off" and slowly but steadily gaining weight for a few years now. Time to clean up this mess.

Really hoping this can help with the psoriasis in particular. The prescription cream has done NOTHING. As far as I can tell it's no more effective than a good body cream. :(

I've been convinced wheat is poison for a lot of us for quite some time. This is the first time I've realized I may be manifesting some direct symptoms.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-22-2010 - 5:24am

Wow you are lucky to have such a store,good for you for taking charge..i forgot to tell you for your skin condition,

my son in law has the same and he uses no soap only goats milk soap it has done the world of good for him,and my daughter only washes with lux flakes,no detergents or other powders,and we all use dove shampoo and conditioner,my daughter uses dove soap it seems not too bad either..oh another thing for sandwiches we also use gf/wf tortilla wraps only corn wraps they are great,plus our home made gf/wf bread we make,but its not much good for sandwiches either mainly only for some toast at times..

good luck cheers Lynne

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-22-2010 - 5:49am
Thank you for the tips!!