Gluten question??

iVillage Member
Gluten question??
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 11:16pm
I have been doing some research on Gluten Free and I am wondering if its something that I should look in too. I have always suffered from headaches and most are migraines. All doctors what to do is give me pills. I also have stomach issues and have the hardest time losing weight. Most days I feel like after everything I eat my stomach just swells up and I look like I should be pregnant. I feel like I am sucking it in all day but when I relax my stomach it is huge! I am not skinny but geez..and sometimes it just feels uncomfortable and if I press on my stomach it feels very full or hard. Some days i can be kind of gassy as well. I haven't been to a doctor about it but the more I hear about Celiac I wonder if this is what I suffer from. How do they test you and see if you have this and I cant imagine where to start in completely changing my diet.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 11:19pm
I forgot to add... could this be why I feel tired so much and just drag after work? I also sometimes get what looks like hives on my right side. It comes up every once in a while and its usually just one spot. I also have acne that seems no matter what I use never goes away and I am 32...a little tired of having acne!

Edited 9/6/2010 11:35 pm ET by jenn2590
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 9:08am

You could have your doctor run a blood test for Celiac. If that comes back negative, you could either have them do an endoscopy to take a look and see if they see signs of Celiac, or you could do a trial of a gluten-free diet. But, the caveat is that if you have the blood test done, you can't be on the gluten-free diet yet. So, if you plan on going that route of getting tested, you need to remain eating what you are currently eating until after the blood test is done. Otherwise it will skew the results.

For me, personally, I have never had any testing done. I put my daughter on a gluten-free diet because of behavioral issues and it helped her. After she had been on the diet for about a year and a half, I went on the diet because of gas, bloating, diarrhea, and I had a gluten-loaded weekend with disastrous results to my digestive system. LOL! So, I went off the gluten from that point on and now whenever there's some sort of cross contamination, I can end up with the gas and bloating and horrible feeling in my intestines. If it's more than just a minor glutening, I will end up in the restroom frequently, if you know what I mean.

Not everyone reacts the same way, but a lot of people get at least some of the symptoms of gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, intestinal discomfort. Some also get rashes or skin conditions related to gluten. Some people take mere minutes to get a reaction and other people take a day or two or so to get a reaction, which can make it harder to pinpoint what it was that you ate that caused the issue.

For your migraines, have the doctors suggested an elimination diet? My doctor gave me a whole sheet of foods that cause migraine and told me to start eliminating one thing at a time to see if it is the culprit. I started with chocolate and my migraines went away. I never eliminated anything else after that, but sometimes I wonder if I need to do that again because I have started up with nasty headaches (not true migraines), but I wonder if diet has something to do with things?

Perhaps talk to your doctor about the blood test for celiac and see if they will at least do that.

Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lots of gluten-free recipes: http://www.glutenfreebeginnings.info
Photobucket

Visit my Blog with lot
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 9:22pm
Thanks for the info! I am scheduled to have some blood tests done and so I will ask about this and see what happens. I am so glad there are people here that know about this issue!
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 2:12am

I agree with what Tee has said here,i hope after your appointments you will come back and lets us know how you go and what has been said..

hope to hear soon cheers Lynne