so tired of worrying "positive screen"

iVillage Member
so tired of worrying "positive screen"
Fri, 05-19-2006 - 11:52pm

I am really so exhausted and so angry that a positive free beta screen has taken away all the joy I was feeling. I am 40 and am due in November. I have two sons 5 and 4. During my previous pregancies I never took any blood screening tests because of the false positive results and opted for this really great u/s where this really nice doctor looked at my sons and said they look great. This time they didn't give me an option they made me take a new and improved blood test with less risk of false positive results. The u/s was lovely with no additional n/t fluid behind the neck --we were almost giddy. They marched us into the Geneticist's office for what we thought would be improved stats. Instead, they told us sorry they blood results were "less promising than the u/s" now our odds went from 1/60 to 1/28 chance of a baby with ds. As before, my husband and I will have and love this baby no matter what. I just can't help obsessing over it and feeling guilty that I may have done this to a child when I already had so much. (I know that sounds awful) I spend hours I don't have on the internet looking up obscure articles about the presence or abscence of a nasal bone and then starring at my baby's profile trying to see if it has one. I am scheduled for an amnio next week but I am calling it off on Mon. I was told the stats are 1/200 for m/c at this stage. Which means that in addition to really ailing parents and a job that is just oozing in stress I will worry and not sleep until the 20 week u/s which may not give us any more information.

Help

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-21-2006 - 3:32pm

Hi,

Don't worry so much. Based on what you wrote, you alread had an answer. Why torture yourself?if you know in your heart, no matter what the outcome is, you still love this child. By worrying will not change anything. When I had a blood test result, it was 1:20 changed from 1:40. the u/s looked good, but blood test was bad. I am 3 years older than you. So, I decided to do the amnio to ease my mind. I did the N-FISH also, so I got the result in 24 hours and everything was fine. Sometime,false positive happens because of the age. The amnio wasn't bad at all. it took only 1.5 minutes. it felt a little pinching that's all. I didn't feel any cramp or anything at all. after the amnio,I just slept the whole afternoon. Later on,I felt normal and went back to work the next day.

I am 5 and a half months now.If you worry so much,you should consider the amnio, otherwise,just let it be and keep positive thinking and praying for the best. Remember, you are not alone.

Good luck.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-22-2006 - 9:36am

I think that I will probably have an amnio when I go for my ultrasound on June 2. I just am tired about worrying and want to know everything if fine for sure. I went into my NT ultrasound with odds of 1:22 of DS. After the ultrasound they went to 1:92. The measurement was 1.7 which I thought was really good. We didn't get a good shot of the face for a nasal bone. The tech said she thought she saw one, but the Doc. said he could not determine from the pics. Maybe he didn't look. After the bloodwork, my odds went to 1:87. Whatever the things are in the blood, 1 was a little high and 1 a little low. They happen to be the ones that correspond with Downs. I will feel much better to know for sure.

The chances of miscarrying from the amnio are very low. My OB who is due 2 weeks after me said that she would have no problem having an amnio if her numbers didn't look good. If you will be worrying through your pregnancy, you might want to consider having an amnio so you can have peace of mind. Otherwise, go to the next ultrasound. I know for mine, they will measure fingers, etc. to look for markers. Maybe you can get a better feeling from that.

Good luck,
Tammy

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-22-2006 - 9:40am

I hate that they offer these tests that a majority of the time are false positives and ruin the joy of pregnancy.

You didn't do anything wrong to feel guilty about bringing a new life into this world. That really isn't our decision. If it were I would be pregnant right now.

Hugs to you

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-23-2006 - 11:33am

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this worry process. With my oldest DD I had really high AFP results and even after an ultrasound, the doctor couldn't confirm that there was not an open neural tube, so I opted for the amnio. That was 14 years ago and the odds of m/c were 1:150 then. I was told last week at my NT test that the odds for m/c after amnio had dramatically improved to 1:400 or better. I have opted against the amnio because I got some very good results back from the NT test, but if my results had been concerning, I would have gone ahead with the amnio. I would never end the pregnancy, but I think it's unfair that a blood test can steal the joy of pregnancy, so I would have done it for my own peace of mind. It's ultimately your decision, but I would love to see you have the opportunity to relax and bask in the beauty of being pregnant and 40.

Were you offered the URAD test? It is a follow-up ultrasound to the NT test. After the URAD your results are recalculated and you are given new numbers. It is usually done between 18 and 20 weeks.

What is your due date. Tammy and I are both due in November, also. It's going to be a great month for all of us!!!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-09-2007 - 3:34pm
Thank you so much for replying. i am sorry it took so long to respond but i literally held my breath for the entire/remaining 6 months. I did not get the amnio. I just did not want to risk any chance of a miscarriage because I knew this was my last baby. I'm actually 41. On October 23, 2006, I had a healthy baby boy. He does not have downs or heart problems. In fact, there is nothing wrong with him other than he was 3 weeks early problably do to the stress of worrying about those stupid blood tests. I hate those tests! They should never give them. I hate them for ruining my last pregnancy. When I catch my breath I am going to get something published about this. I wish all women in my position lots of luck and peace for their pregnancies whatever their decisions.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-09-2007 - 6:49pm

Congratulations!! I'm so glad that everything worked out for you and your baby!! I'm 40 and DH and I are considering having a baby after 10 years of marriage and thinking we didn't want children. (Yikes!!)

When I hear about these false positive tests, it scares me to death.

I hope you are enjoying your baby boy.

Julie

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-09-2007 - 8:31pm

I'm so happy to hear your story. I had

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-16-2007 - 1:55pm
Hang in there. Sounds like you are already in a positive state of mind which is the best thing you can do. Like you said you are going to love this baby no matter what. Your baby is going to be a gift. I just wish they wouldn't worry us. No one wants their baby to have any health risks. That said, I think the one story that really solidified my decision not to get an amnio or cvs was one i read (i can't remember where) about a woman who was given results like ours and had an amnio and two weeks later had a miscarriage and learned that it was a little girl who did not have ds or any health problems that they could determine. I'm not saying there is a right or wrong decision. It was just very difficult for me. I wish you lots of peace of mind.