Anyone had a CVS?

iVillage Member
Anyone had a CVS?
Thu, 05-17-2007 - 5:54am

I am 42 and have my blood test/u/s in a few weeks. My dr has told me that I will probably be high risk due to my age. i had an amnio with DS and I nearly hit the roof when the needle went in (a am quite jumpy in general) so I am nervous about having another one. Also, i would rather find out sooner than later if there is a problem with the baby. Anyone had both and can compare or just the CVS. The more detail the better! Thanks for your help.

-Linda

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobuckethref="http://tickers.families.com/">

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-17-2007 - 10:03am

Hi, Linda,

I'm Marcy and I am 43; had an amnio and a CVS with this baby, along with a NT. Okay, so maybe it's overkill. Anyway, I tried the CVS, but it did not work for me as I have a tilted uterus or something. Basically you either lie on a table (abdominal type) or have your feet in stirrups (vaginal type), the docs do an ultrasound, and they insert a probe to get some vilii out from around the uterus. For me, there was a fair amount of discomfort involved (they tried the V on me), but I am sure it was due to the docs trying and trying (think lots of stretching and uncomfortable positions) but ultimately failing to get what they needed. I am sure that the discomfort involved was due to the number of times they tried, and not the actual procedure itself; it shouldn't hurt at all if everything goes well and the sample is easily obtainable. The key is that the doc needs to be VERY experienced in this procedure (believe it or not, mine was an expert and I still stumped him) and most regular OB's are not. In addition, most insurance plans do not automatically include this type of testing, so preapproval is necessary (that's what we did).

After the CVS failure, they recommended an amnio. I had tried that previously with DD and it didn't work either (blood pressure issues, I'm not scared of big needles). I didn't think it would work this time, either. But it did. Went in for a regular ultrasound, they found the place to get a good sample, put something on my tummy to numb it a little, then stuck the needle in and withdrew the fluid. No problems whatsoever, and it was over in less than 5 minutes. Then I went home and took it easy for the rest of the day (naps are good things!). The results in my case were no chromosomal abnormalites and it's a girl (yay!).

Really, I don't think either procedure is that bad. I've tried both. And, if you don't want the invasive stuff, you could ask about the Nuchal Translucency (basically a measurement taking ultrasound where they measure the nuchal folds around the neck as well as a blood test). It does not examine chromosomes and does not tell you the gender, but it can give you "odds" for your baby. Then, with those results, you could determine what to do or not to do.

Hope this helps!
Marcy
DD 5/25/00
EDD 7/3/07 (yay! It's a girl!)

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-17-2007 - 9:19pm
Hi:
I had the CVS done. They tried to go vaginally thru the cervix but they couldn't get the villi sample so they went thru my abdomen. Frankly, the internal hurt more then the stomach. When they went thru the abdomen it was over very fast and minor discomfort. Went hey went thru my cervix I had extreme cramping.
It is very important to find a DR who regularly does these and has an excellent track record.
Wishing you the best.
judi
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-20-2007 - 9:19pm

Hi Marcy,

Thanks so much for all your info...I think I will just see what happends after the bloodtest/U/s before I decide. It is all scary all this stuff isn't it? My MIL was telling me that in some ways it was easier in her days because you just had the baby..no tests, no u/s, ect. Sigh. I just need to stay in the day and be happy I am preg and not worry so much about the future. Thanks again-I really appreciate it.

-Linda

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobuckethref="http://tickers.families.com/">

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-20-2007 - 9:28pm

Thanks Judi...I Know the dr who is going to do it has done zillions but I am not sure where they go in...I will try to find out. Thanks again.

-Linda

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-21-2007 - 10:57pm

Hi, Linda,

Where they go in depends on the position of the baby and your cervix/uterus. If you decide to have a CVS, they will give you a U/S first, to determine the position of everything and then determine which approach to take. In my case, the U/S was shown on a really big screen so that was pretty cool.

Good luck!
Marcy

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-22-2007 - 3:18am

Got it. I was hoping to have a choice...should have known!! Thanks again:).

-Linda

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-29-2007 - 4:27pm

Hi, Linda. I did CVS a few months ago. They were able to go in through the cervix and for me it was no more painful than the pinch you feel from a

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-12-2007 - 5:17pm

After reading all these posts, I know for sure now, I will not have any tests other than my ultra sounds and my blood and urin tests. if my baby has a defect.. well then we will over come it. odds are that baby will be healthy. My yougest daughter was born with a birth defect, she was born with two middle fingers but she is fine, my older daughter has learning disablities due to oxygen deporvation during delivery, but she just graduated from 8th grade on time and is off to high school, everything works out for the best and everything happens for a reason. This baby is in gods hands and he wont give me anything more than I can handle.

so live for the moment and enjoy your gift of love.

Dyan

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-13-2007 - 1:35pm

Good to hear your kids are doing well, Dyan.

I like to be prepared, and that's why I had CVS.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-13-2007 - 1:45pm

Thank you Jodi,

It not that I dont want to be prepared its just that, I read the risks and the percentage of the risk of miscarrage from having the test is just about as high as having a baby with a birth defect. I just dont want to risk it. I would never tell any one not ot have the tests its a personal choice, and I think its important for each mother to decide for herself is she wants the test done. when I was reading about the test not being able to be done with for the mom with the tilted uterus, I dont want docs digging around and failing. I too have a tipped uterus so Ill skipp it. OH heck if I deliver a shoe im gonna put a diaper on it and sing it goodnight. I am not actually worried about my baby having problems. I think my baby will be just fine. with or without the test. I am glad the test gave you piece of mine. I just think it will cause even more undue stress on me.

Thank you
Dyan

Pages