Hi from Australia

iVillage Member
Hi from Australia
Sun, 05-27-2007 - 11:42pm

Hi everyone, my name is Karen and I am expecting my 3rd child in January next year.
I am 41yrs and 8 weeks pregnant today. I live in Australia and its so hard to find a board for over 40s mums expecting.

I have two girls aged 18 and 20. I have recently remarried to a wonderful man, we were told over 12 months ago I would not conceive without hormone injections, so we left it at that. In March this year we married and went away on our honey moon. The next month I was 10 days late before I took a hpt. I nearly fainted, I have been feeling a bit off and tired with a sore back, but I get that before my monthlys anyway.
My husband who is 41yrs is over the moon and has told everyone, he has no children.
I feel a bit funny as I never though it would happen. However I am happy.
On June 26 we are having our NT scan, after that I can relax. Would love to hear about from other mums and their experiences with the NT scan.
Thanks Karen

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-27-2007 - 11:48pm
Sorry should of put this in the welcome/Intro section.
But would still like to hear about NT scans
Thanks again
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-28-2007 - 9:33pm

Hi Karen,

My name is Linda and I am in Australia as well. I live in Perth. Where are you? I have one son who is 21 months and am 42 and expecting #2 in December. My husband is 40 and is an Aussie which is why I am here!! I actually love it:). Its nice to hear of someone else way over here:).

-Linda

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobuckethref="http://tickers.families.com/">

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-28-2007 - 10:40pm

Hi Karen,

First of all, welcome and congratulations on your pregnancy! That is fantastic.

The NT scan (nuchal fold scan) is done to assess the baby's risk of having Downs. It's completely painless and pretty cool to watch. They will measure the translucent space in the tissue in the back of your baby's neck. If the baby is likely to have Downs or other abnormalities, the nuchal fold will be thicker than average. When your doctor is measuring it, just ask him or her whether it's average or not.

You'll probably get a blood test along with this, and with the info from the NT and the blood test, they calculate in your age and give you the odds of having a baby with chromosomal abnormalities. If you get bad results, don't freak out! This is a screening test and not a diagnostic one (like amnio, which is pretty darned accurate).

I hope this info is helpful!

Congrats again!

Lois

BTW, I love Australia! Have been there a few times...Melbourne is amazing (I preferred it to Sydney).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-28-2007 - 10:58pm

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply, I live in N.S.W born and bred here. Great that you are both expecting number 2. Did you have any problems conceiving? I notice you are two weeks ahead of me in pregnancy. I feel quite well, a bit queesy now and again but not bad enough to stop me from doing things. Are you haveing the NT scan? Sorry about all the questions, its just great to talk to someone my age going through the same thing, around the same time.lol I also feel this time I am aware of everything that is happening to my body, and I love it, not like when I was younger, I really didnt think about it. Hopefully we can continue to keep in contact, would love to know how your progressing.

Take care
Karen

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-28-2007 - 11:03pm

Hi Louis

Thankyou for your information, I like to do as much research as I can, so I am fully prepared. And I hope all works out well with you,I will be comming here quite a bit so I will be able to catch up with how your doing. What is your situation at the moment.
If I may ask.

Take Care
Karen

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-28-2007 - 11:13pm

Hi Karen,

Of course you may ask! I actually shouldn't be on this board because I am not pregnant, but I always found it to be such a place of comfort for someone of my advanced age (45!!!) that I stick around in the hopes that I, too, will become pregnant again.

The good news is I can get pregnant. The bad news is I haven't been able to deliver a live birth. :-( I got married at 41, got pregnant shortly thereafter and then miscarried at 7.5 weeks. Had a second miscarriage (very early). And then I lost my third pregnancy during this past winter when I was 17 weeks pregnant. Crap happens, and I don't want my story to scare the other pregnant moms. I have friends who are my age or older who gave birth with little or no problems.

So, if I ever get pregnant again--no, make that WHEN I get pregnant again--the doctor most likely will treat me as an extreme high-risk case and I will get shots of Lovenox or Heparin to help maintain the pregnancy. I also most likely will quit my job and do everything possible to carry the pregnancy to full term.

Anyhow, please let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.

Lois

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-28-2007 - 11:21pm

Hi louis

Thanks for your message, and while your situation is a sad one, I think hearing stories like yours bring us back to earth. I will show my husband your message, as he thinks things are fine and nothing can happen. He has never had children and has no idea.
I had asked him to wait until our NT scan before telling anyone, but he couldnt help it he has told his faimly, freinds and workmates. Though he is very excited, I do have to remind him things do and can happen.
Take care
Karen

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-29-2007 - 10:11am

Hi Karen,

While it's true that I haven't had much luck, I would still say that you should enjoy your pregnancy because you most likely will NOT share my misfortune. I've had lots of friends who had no problems (and they were as old as me)...so I suspect that I may have had problems staying pregnant even if I was younger. But at least now I know what I'm up against.

I think it's wise of you to be cautiously optimistic though! It's sweet that your husband is thinking positively for the three of you! :-)

Take care of yourself (and the little one!).

xxoo
Lois

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-30-2007 - 6:51am

Hi Karen:

Just want to congratulate you on your pregnancy. I think it's wonderful that your husband is so excited :>)

I turned 40 in January and have been married 10 years. We live in Maine. DH(dear husband) and I never wanted children until now. We were more of the furry kid type(dogs and cats). We plan to start trying(TTC) in July and we are getting excited too.

This is a wonderful board, glad you are here.

Take Care, Julie

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-30-2007 - 9:07am

Hi Karen,

Welcome to the board! I am 43 and 22 weeks along with a baby girl, my fourth child. I had a level II ultrasound and NT done at 12 weeks, along with bloodwork. The NT is when they measure the fluid at the back of the baby's neck. Mine was 1.5. I think the normal range is 1.0 to 3.0. Also they look for the presence of a nasal bone between the eyes, which in my case was prominent and normal. In babies with Down syndrome this bone is flat. I had another level II ultrasound done at 19 weeks and the only thing they found that was abnormal was a calcium deposit on the baby's heart, which is a soft marker for Downs. Otherwise, everything else was fine. But because of this my risk is 1 in 40 for Downs. After discussing the results with my OB I decided not to have an amnio. She wasn't too concerned about the calcium deposit. Apparently 5% of all babies are born with this and it isn't a problem.

I'm not sure if they do the same testing in Australia. I've never been there but it looks beautiful. Good luck with your scan and be sure to post your results.

Michele

Pages