epidurals

iVillage Member
epidurals
Thu, 06-14-2007 - 5:30pm

Has anyone had one of these? I went natural child birth with my other 4 children, (well they did dope me up when I was screaming so much that other moms were getting scared. But tell me... does it hurt to get one? does it make you sick, how does the contractions feel with an epidural. Are they gone? Are they just dulled so you don't scream as loud? So anyone who has had one in the past please share. I don't want to scream like a truck driver with this one.

Dyan

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: dyan_2007
Thu, 06-14-2007 - 5:54pm

I love epidurals. I had one with my first 3 and I don't remember any pain: just sweet relief. With my 3rd one, they gave me an epidural at the same time they induced. That was my favorite delivery.
For some unknown reason (probably cause it was middle of night) they did not give me one with my 4th. I made lots of noise, too. I have HBP this time around, and I figure they will not want it going up any more than necessary in labor, so I'm counting on an early epidural. My OB has also said they will induce as soon as I am term-37 wks, so I intend to have my epidural plans all set up. Obviously, I am a big baby about pain.

Carole

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-15-2007 - 12:45pm

I had one with my son after 12 hours of labor. I was at 4 centimeters and in excruciating pain. Basically, I had lost any ability to cope with the pain.

I loved it, for the most part. I was able to get some sleep (I had been in labor since 8 p.m. the night before). I felt no pain. However, it did slow my labor a bit. They gave me pitocin and that got it going again.

11 hours after the epidural, I was ready to push. The epidural didn't affect my ability to push at all, and I definitely had a strong urge to push, too. I pushed for 1 hour, which I think is pretty good for a first-time labor and a 9 1/2 pound boy!

Now I am pregnant with my second baby. I still want to see how far I can go without needing an epidural, but I'm certainly not reluctant to get one. I had no ill effects from it, except for a mild headache afterward.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-15-2007 - 1:02pm

Thank you so much.

I put up with enough pain with the first four, I even had a tooth pulled with no novacain, so I can take a lot but im going for the epidural. why should I suffer, I barely got to see any of my children born and since this will be my last one, I want to see this one and not be totally doped up.

Thank you so much for the info, it help a lot.

Dyan

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-15-2007 - 3:13pm

I didn't have a great experience with it. My contractions were very painful and close together when I was given pictocin (which I did not want). My doctor wanted the baby out prety quickly because my water broke at 36 weeks and I hadn't even had a group B strep test yet. Anyhow, it didn't hurt at all. I don't have a phobia of needles so it didn't bother me but I did throw up shortly after getting it because my blood pressure dropped really low, very quickly. The nausea subsided and it definitely took all the pain away. The problem was, I dilated quickly and it was time to push but I couldn't even feel enough to push well. They ended up cutting it off so by the time the baby came out (2 hours later) I felt all of it. I will try not to get one this time and maybe push more efficiently. I'm open to it though if the pain is bad enough.

Lynne

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-15-2007 - 4:02pm

With my first pregnancy my water broke at 35 weeks. I didn't really feel a lot of labor pains at first but when I finally did I asked for the epidural. I was only a centimeter dialated at that point so I thought I would be in this pain for a while yet, but by the time they finished giving me the epidural they checked me again and I was already complete and ready to start pushing. I felt nothing but I also had a really hard time pushing. I felt like I had no control over the birth at all. It also made me sick to my stomach. I think this time I will wait a little while and see if I progress as fast as I did with the first one. If so I won't have another epidural.

Jill

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-16-2007 - 1:10pm

This is a completely stupid question but when you all talk about water breaking at 34 or 35 weeks, we're talking about a normal 40-week pregnancy, right? I get confused because everyone counts their pregnancy differently! My friend who had her baby recently thought I was nuts 'cause she counted her entire pregnancy as being 9 months (or 36 weeks). When I was pregnant, the OB/RE counted it from my LMP, so I was on the 40-week scale.

Thanks!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-17-2007 - 3:35pm

Yes, I'm referring to a normal 40 week pregnancy, so I delivered 4 weeks early (at 36 weeks). HTH

Lynne

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-17-2007 - 11:12pm

Thanks Lynn! Personally, I think any woman who gives birth is a rock star! I have friends who did it completely natural with a doula to assist...I don't think I could do that. I'm such a wimp!

:-)

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-18-2007 - 10:10am

Yes, I was also counting it as a normal 40 week pregnancy. I delivered 5 weeks early at 35 weeks.
It was kind of funny how it happened. They were worried about an early delivery the whole pregnancy so when I went to the doctor's that day and she said "everything looks great and if you were to deliver today the baby would be fine."
So sure enough 3 hours after my visit my water broke and I was headed to the hospital to give birth. I always said she heard the doctor and decided to come on out.

Jill

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-18-2007 - 10:13am

LOL! Yes, your baby was just being cautious and wanted to make sure it was safe...

:-)

Pages