Swelling

iVillage Member
Swelling
Mon, 06-25-2007 - 10:22am

Hello, i am currently 19 weeks and I just got back from camping this weekend and I had swelling really bad in my feet and ankles all weekend long. I would sit with my feet propped up and drank my water but nothing would help. As soon as I got home the swelling went down some but I still have a little.
Has anyone else had any swelling? I never had any with my first and it kind of worries me.

Jill

iVillage Member
In reply to: momtobe43
Mon, 06-25-2007 - 10:43am

HI Jill,

Well swelling sucks but it's usually normal, Just in case don't rely on us, give your doctor a call and they can tell you more.

But in a nut shell: Causes of swelling

* Summertime heat
* Standing for long periods of time
* "Long" days of activity
* Diet low in potassium
* High level of caffeine consumption
* High level of sodium intake

Ways to avoid swelling:

* Avoid standing for long periods
* Minimize outdoor time when it is hot
* Rest with your feet elevated
* Wear comfortable shoes, avoiding high heels if possible
* Wear supportive tights or stockings
* Avoid clothes that are tight around your wrists or ankles
* Rest or swim in a pool
* Use cold compresses on swollen areas
* Drink water, which helps flush the body and reduce water retention
* Minimize sodium (salt) intake and avoid adding additional salt to meals

During pregnancy, the body produces approximately 50% more blood and body fluids to meet the needs of the developing baby. Swelling is a normal part of pregnancy that is caused by this additional blood and fluid. Normal swelling, which is also called edema, is experienced in the hands, face, legs, ankles, and feet.

This extra retention of fluid is needed to soften the body, which enables it to expand as the baby develops. Extra fluid also helps prepare the pelvic joints and tissues to open to allow the baby to be born. The extra fluids account for approximately 25% of the weight women gain during pregnancy.

My info came from http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/pregnancyswelling.html

my advice is call your doctor, they have all the right answers, and will put your mind to rest!

good luck
Dyan

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-25-2007 - 10:59am

Thanks, Maybe it was from being outside, but since I have never had the swelling before it kind of made me worry. I think if it doen't go down some more I will call my doctor just to check. Thanks again.

Jill

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-25-2007 - 12:15pm

you're welcome.

Its always best to check with your doctor. They are used to answering questions and usually they can be answered by the nurses that work in the office. Better safe then sorry.

Dyan

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-28-2007 - 3:25am

I had swelling with my last pregnancy(44yrs). I did not have swelling with my others. I propped my feet and wore support knee highs in the cooler months. I was back to normal shortly after he was born.

Tammy

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-18-2007 - 2:23pm
It is best to check with your doctor. Just be carefull that you arent drinking too much water. With my first pregnancy I had alot of lower leg and foot swelling due to high blood pressure. Right after my daughter was born a nurse told me to drink 5 huge cups of water a day to flush out my system...bad advice. I was overwhelming my body and even with breastfeeding it was too much. When the doctor was told about the nurses recomendation, she stopped me right away and the swelling went away.
I didnt realize that drinking too much water could hurt you.
hope that helps!
Tricia

Tricia

Photobucket