Info on Cerclage or Hashimoto's?

iVillage Member
Info on Cerclage or Hashimoto's?
Tue, 07-03-2007 - 2:03pm

Thanks so much for the positive thoughts. I did get into a perinatalogist this morning. She did an ultrasound and my litte brazil nut looks about five weeks along with a heartbeat of 118. I thought that was low but the doctor says it is ok for its age.

She suggested a cerclage at 12 weeks just for safety. She wants to do it the same day as my nuchal(sp?). We don't know why I have had premature spontaneous rupture of membranes. I didn't have an incomplete cervix or any infections, so I still don't know what to watch out for, but the doctor thinks the cerclage would prevent anything from getting in. Kind of makes me feel like my cervix is located in some dirty back alley and not safely between my legs, lol. She also wants genetic testing, but the way I see it - if we don't know why my sacs keep rupturing, it isn't a good idea to keep poking holes in them, kwim?

Also, I have had trouble with hypothyroid for about five years, they can't seem to find the right dose for me, and now I have Hashimoto's, some kind of immune system thyroid thingy. How does that affect the pregnancy? She didn't seem that concerned. She is more concerned with helping me make it through, but due to my age (geez I'm 41 not 71) and history, she doesn't want to be too over-positive and I respect that, I am scared out of my wits, but I wish she seemed more confident.

Also, I was wondering how people move between the different boards. I am considering buying a membership, but didn't want to double post, any advice would help.

Thanks again for all your wisdom, SBV to all, Maribeth

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-05-2007 - 10:17am

I was reading your posting, Congrats on your little Brazilian nut... LOL Mine looked like a gummy bear doing a dance, im not sure about all your health issues, but try to stay calm and take one day at a time. No your cervix is not in some dirty ally.. from what I read cerclage is used to keep your cervix closed until its time to deliver... so our cervix isnt hanging out in some dirty back ally, its just being lazy and hanging around not doing its job...LOL

Sometimes I think docs give us too much information, then just worry us to death over the what ifs. What if this happens what if that happens. GEEZ What if the world ends tomorrow.. then none of the doc info matters anyway.

Enjoy being pregnant and get people to do stuff for ya.. my hubby is a gem and is sooooo in love with me.. he would even kiss my toes. :)

Dyan

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-04-2007 - 4:46pm

Maribeth,

Definitely get the cerclage. It can't hurt and it can certainly prevent premature birth. I know several women who have had them and -- while they aren't pleasant to get -- in all cases they have prevented another loss.

Re the hypothyroid, get an internist or endocrinologist to test you ASAP. Go to someone who is very knowledgeable about thyroid issues. The latest research shows that almost all women need to increase their thyroid meds by 30 to 50% as early as 5 weeks after LMP (that is only 3 weeks after ovulation). If you are 5 weeks after ovulation, then you probably need to increase your dose now. The baby draws on your thyroid until its own thyroid develops after the first trimester. Low thyroid is a leading cause of miscarriage -- it caused 3 of them for my mother -- so do not delay in getting tested.

You are right that the Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease where your body produces antibodies to your own thyroid. So it causes another big drain on your thyroid gland. Some patients with Hashimoto's have a better experience with Armour thyroid -- a natural form of the drug produced from ground up pig thyroids -- rather than Synthroid. I had a terrible time controlling my hypothyroid with Synthroid and my TSH shot up to 6.6 as soon as I got pregnant (when the normal range is 0.3 to 3.0). I have had a much better experience with Armour thyroid and it really keeps my TSH down and my other numbers up (where they should be). Many doctors are unfamiliar with the natural form of thyroid, so you might want to find one who is. Also, most OB's and RE's are woefully uninformed about the affect of low thyroid on pregnancy. So you really have to do your own research and be your own advocate.

A good website for info is www.thyroid.about.com.

Hope that helps.

Carol

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-04-2007 - 11:13am

Maribeth,

My brother told me something after my last miscarriage a few months ago...My father is really sick and really won't be getting any better. Due to his weakened state, he (my dad) mistakenly thought I was still pregnant and was asking me about the baby etc. I was telling my brother that I felt so horrible. Not only did my DH and I lose our baby, but all our family members and friends lost the baby, too. My brother said that I can't bear everyone's burden for them and that it's not for me to feel guilty about them feeling badly--that I just needed to concentrate on dealing with it and that everyone else could take care of themselves.

That's what I'd like to say to you as well. As guilty as you may feel because your friends and family feel badly about your losses--I can guarantee you that they are not suffering more than you...and I am sure that they WANT to be there for you. I'm not telling you to tell anyone more than you're ready to share, but don't worry about them. Just worry about your little adorable bean! :-)

I think you are right to feel confident and think that women know when things are right with their pregnancy. So enjoy it! And I think your doc is right--the fact that you conceived naturally is really wonderful! And yes, your doctor is right again when she says there is no guarantee that this pregnancy will be positive all the way. But there's no guarantees about anything in life, really, in that sense! :-) (And my friend had two miscarriages around 12 weeks each time and with her third pregnancy gave birth to beautiful and healthy baby...so just 'cause it didn't work out before doesn't mean it'll happen again!).

I hope your little bean enjoys his or her first Fourth of July...in utero! How adorable!

xxoo
Lois

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-04-2007 - 11:00am

Lois,

Thank you, I appreciate the information and how positive and supportive you and everyone else has been. I just can't talk to my family and friends because sometimes it feels like they suffer my losses more than I do. I know that makes me lucky to have such good family and friends, but I feel like I have to keep the possibility of pain from them.

I know five weeks is so early, and with my history maybe I am being to confident, but this just feels so right. I mean, when I realized it was a pregnancy and not a really awful period coming I thought I was so much farther along because I didn't get these symptoms this early with the other pregnancies. At the perinatalogist yesterday, she said that the fact that this wasn't IVF but "our own work" makes the odds better, but we just don't know, and she said five weeks even with a strong heartbeat doesn't guarantee a positive outcome.

Again, I really appreciate all the feedback, Maribeth

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-03-2007 - 3:27pm

Maribeth,

I don't know much about anything you've posted but I wanted to wish you good luck! And to say that you always inject a good dose of humor, even when you're writing about complicated and scary stuff.

I go between this board and the TTC OVER 40 board. I used to go to the TTC after Miscarriage board but it was so busy all the time I couldn't keep everyone straight. Also, I was about twice the age of a lot of those gals (I turned 45 a couple months ago) and I didn't really relate to them as much as I do to those in my age group who know what I'm talking about when I get panicked about a race against time!

I got a membership to this ivillage 'cause it's easier to read all the posts at once rather than one at a time for non paid memberships. I also like being able to have a signature etc. Personally, I think it's kind of weird that we have to pay for these functions but oh well--it's not a huge amount of money.

Oh, and don't worry about doubleposting. Just post whatever and wherever you like and the readers can take it from there. Some may answer at one board while another may answer you at a different message board.
Anyhow, best of luck!

Lois

Edited 7/3/2007 3:29 pm ET by loiswillbepregnant

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket