abnormal mammogram - a bit long

iVillage Member
abnormal mammogram - a bit long
Thu, 07-12-2007 - 7:27pm

Just what I need, another thing to worry about! I had my first mammogram right before I got pregnant. The results came back ABNORMAL with a recommendation for additional diagnostic spot compression mammogram of both breasts but by then I was PG. Because of the radiation, my doctor recommended doing a breast ultrasound instead which I had today.

The ultrasound tech spent a very long time looking at things and then said she was going to check with the doctor to see if he needed any other views. She was gone for what seemed like forever and when she returned, she had the doctor with her. He explained something about not routinely doing ultrasounds at this point because they often show things that aren't really a problem. He then first did some more ultrasounds of my right breast and said there was some "unusual ducts and some cysts" that he wasn't worried about.

He then moved on to the left and spent forever with the ultrasound with lots of talking between him and the tech that didn't make much sense to me. There was a spot that he was was "concerned about" (plus more "unusual ducts"). He said it was possible its just some fibrous tissue but he couldn't tell. He seemed a bit perplexed and made some comment about "never having this in 15 yrs". He finally said he wants me to come back in a few months but was concerned because the pregnancy hormones might cause what he is seeing to grow and that the changes that will occur in my breasts as my pregnancy continues will make it difficult to compare images.

UGH, as if I haven't been worrying enough about miscarriage, baby growing ok, possible birth defects, etc. - NOW, I'm worrying about my breasts.

- Sandy (44) DS (natural) born just before my 41st birthday. TTC#2. Only issue: egg/embryo quality due to age. Clomid & multiple IUIs w/follistim &menopur = BFN. IVF#1 (Nov 2011) = 12 eggs, 9 mature & fertilized. Transferred 3 embryos (1-3BB, 2-3
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-15-2007 - 12:38pm

Sorry that this is happening to you.

Let me tell you that every time I go for a mammo my results are just like yours. They always make me come back in 6 months and do ultrasounds and just scare you to death. But on the other hand it is nice to know that they are concerned enough to do further testing.

If it would make you feel better get a second opinion. Did you have this done at a Breast Center or a large Hospital?

Another thing to think that 95% of all lumps are benign.

I hope you get good news when they do your follow up.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-28-2007 - 7:23pm
I'm 43 and went to my first pre-natal visit in early May. Ob found a large lump in my breast and sent me for ultrasound. Same thing, tech scanned my breast forever then went and got the doctor. Doctor said he is "pretty sure" its a cyst but wants me to have mammogram after the baby is born. He is not going to do anything during pregnancy because the breasts get very lumpy. As I was leaving the building he came up behind me and said to make sure I return after the babies birth.