How many days before O did you conceive?

iVillage Member
How many days before O did you conceive?
Sat, 07-21-2007 - 12:59pm

Hi all,

I posted this on the 'unplanned pregnancy' and 'yes I'm pregnant' boards but haven't gotten any responses, so thought I'd try my luck on a more heavily-trafficed board. And one in my age range, which probably makes the responses more applicable to my situation :-)

I'm a 40yo mother of three, happily married to my second husband for 12 years. We are settled into life with school-age kids, enjoying all that that brings. But all that may be about to change: during fairly acrobatic sex Tuesday night, the condom FELL OFF without our noticing it. We found it all crumpled and forlorn--and unused--at the foot of the bed afterward.

I have pretty regular cycles, usually 27 or 28 days, sometimes shorter, never longer. Tuesday was day 10 of my cycle. I know sperm can live several days, and hubs and I have proven our fertility before: early in our relationship we got pregnant from sex on day 7. I think the likelihood I'm pregnant is probably about 90%. And that's okay. We can incorporate it into our lives and even be happy about it.

All this is a prelude to the question in my post title: now I'm really curious how many other people have conceived from sex several days before ovulation. Thanks in advance for sharing your story with me!

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-21-2007 - 4:18pm

My current pregnancy (28 weeks) is from a single incident of day 6 intercourse with ovulation occuring on day 14 of my cycle (I know the ovulation date based on many years of historical charting, and many symptoms). I was stunned that it could happen at all from this but that was the only date in January that we had intercourse.

My first two pregnancies we were trying so we pretty much hit all days before, during and after ovulation so no good stories there!

Good luck to you!

Val

Val, Anika, Diego and Vincent Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-22-2007 - 7:22am

Thanks for your response, Val! How is your pregnancy going?

It's really bizarre, knowing for four days that you aren't pregnant yet, but you're almost inevitably going to be. Spooky :-)

Based on CM and my sex drive (which is always a great indicator of impending and just-passed O for me), I o'd Friday or possibly early Saturday. So most likely there's a tiny fertilized clump of cells rolling down my Fallopian tube as we speak!

The initial shock has worn off and now I'm trying not to get too excited. I've always been insanely fertile, but then again it's been 7 years since I last conceived and I'm over 40 now--maybe that super fertility has deserted me. I'm also worried that the feeling of "oh no how did I get here? I can't do this" will descend. Hubs is already very positive about it (he's even used the word "great"). We've tossed around the idea of more over the years and always decided "no". I guess the universe had other plans for us.

Now I just have to get through the next 12 or 13 days without going insane or spending every waking moment on these boards ;-)

SJ

Edited 7/22/2007 7:46 am ET by sadiejane08
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-22-2007 - 9:43pm
Wow, now I am confused! When I was trying to conceive, I read everthing I could get my hands on. Everything I read about the life of sperm, said it could only live for a few days tops, under the best cercumstances. Your hubby must have super stuff!
It must be meant to be!
Best of luck for a happy and health pregnacy!
Tricia

Tricia

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-23-2007 - 4:25pm

I would Love to help you with this one, but in reality I dont know somewhere between 10 and 14 days after your period begins is what im told. I found out I was pregnant when I couldnt remember my last period. I was 6 weeks Pregnant when i took the test. we used condoms and ours didnt fall off.. must have had a hole in it.

sorry I couldnt be of help, but if you do end up pregnant we are happy to chat with ya.

Dyan

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-24-2007 - 5:39pm

I can't really speak to the actual question, since I got pg the weekend I ovulated.

However, keep in mind that fertility declines, often rapidly, as we age. That goes for both

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 5:49am

Well, it looks like I can add my own answer now . . . I conceived from sex on cycle day 10. I have a faint but definite + test at 11 dpo!

http://www.butterwing.nl/personal/matcare01Aug.jpg

And, yes, I'm psyched :). The shock wore off pretty quickly after the BC oops and I've been hoping for a + ever since.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 7:15am
If you WANT to get pg, the ideal time to have sex is prior to ovulation. At day 10, there's a chance that you can indeed conceive. GL to you.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 2:42pm

Alright.. whooo hooooo!!!!

Congratulaion!!!!!!!!!!!

your knocked up.... LOl

im very happy for you!!!!!

Good luck

do you have names picked out yet??

hugssss
Dyan

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 3:12pm

:-) Thanks Dyan. No, we don't have names yet, but I know a girl's name will be easy and a boy's will be hard. My second child was 7 weeks early and we knew he was a boy, but we just could not settle on a name. Finally the night before he was born, while I was being induced, I said, "honey, we *have* to pick a name now!"

Heaven help us if we have boy *twins*! LOL

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 4:30pm

I was very limited on boy names, only because I would think of a name then realize i had some jerk of a boy friend with that name or I would meet a guy who was are real jerk and that would kill the name. Girl names are the same... but I have 5 names where I dont know anyone with those names. Hubby can pick the middle names.

good luck on the name game this time.

my sister and brother inlaw, brought their child home with the first name of "baby boy" because they coudlnt decide.

I promissed my mother inlaw I would have a name by delivery, im am such a brown noser.

hugs
Dyan

Pages