pregnancy diet

iVillage Member
pregnancy diet
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 7:38pm
I have been looking into recomended pregnancy diets. I gained 65lbs with my first daughter, all from eating lots of everything. I know I dont want to do that again.I lost it all but it took over a year. Ive never been overweight before and Im thinking it is harder to loose the weight as I get older. All that being said, there is no way I can eat everything that is recomended in these diets! It is just to much food! I know that you should only increase your diet by 300 cal/day but I average only about 1200/day as it is. I wonder if 1500/day is ok. I will talk to my dr about it next week, but you guys probibly know more than she does!!!lol!
Thanks for the help!
Tricia

Tricia

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2007 - 8:49am
First off, 1200 calories per day, is the least you should eat when heavily dieting.

you should gain some weight during pregnancy and 1200 calories isnt enough to feed you and the baby.

this is a rough calculation for a non active person, someone sit at a desk then on the couch at night.

Check out this calorie calculator to see exactly how much you should be eating.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

but remember you are pregnant, you should gain at the minimum of 20 pounds. if you exercise and eat right, you should do just fine.

Dyan

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2007 - 10:26am
Thanks Dyan, that really helps. Dont get me wrong, Im not dieting. I didnt even diet to lose the baby weight with my first. I guess my "problem", if you can call it that, is that I've never been on a diet, ever. I've always been naturally thin(5'9"-130lbs) so Im having trouble eating past my hunger in order to get the recomended calories.
But, I am committed to a healthy pregnancy!
Thanks again!
Tricia

Tricia

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2007 - 10:56am

Must be nice to be naturally thin... I used to be that way, could eat anything and everything. Ha that was short lived. anyway as long as you get the recommended daily allowance of vitemins and minerals... I think you would be fine... What did your doctor say, does he think you are too thin?

Just dont skip meals, 1200 calories I think is low for someone of your height. Im only 5'4" so when I was dieting I ate 1200 cals and exercised 500 cals away and it took me 4 months to lose 25 pounds. if I ate what you are eating right now I would spend every minute in starvation mode. Great now Im hungry... lol

Talk to your doctor he can better give you advice on how much to eat based on your health standards.

Dyan

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2007 - 1:48pm
Everyone in my family is the same way...its in the genes, I guess. Regarding the doctors, It is weird, I am finding that most of my doctors dont give straight answers. They kind of say "well, do you think your too thin?" or "If you've always been this way...". I do take my vits everyday, even before the pregnancy. I just dont eat much. But Im willing to work on it.
Thanks again, Dyan. You're doing a great job as cl!
Tricia

Tricia

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2007 - 1:58pm

Thanks for the Cl compliment!

Ok Ill trade ya, you give me some thin genes and Ill give you my love for cheesy oozy goozy food.

I absolutely love two types of food: one is cheesy foods the other is sea food, but my doctor said I can only have it in small portions once in a while.. When I have this baby, I am going to red lobster and getting the largest seafood sampler tray they have with a side of crab legs and a lobster tail. and real pina Coladas. So for now im stuck eating cheesy .. LOL

Good luck! what kind of foods do you love? and if you say rice cakes I know your fibbing those are only good for being drink coasters or bar frisbee's. LOL

Dyan

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2007 - 2:13pm
We live in the northeast and have this chain resturant that serves BBQ chicken nachos...loaded with cheese, peppers,onions and BBQ sauce! Thats got to be 1200 calories right there! Im big on spicey food. The hotter the better! I have to go easy while Im pregnant because of the heartburn. So when you are having your seafood and pina coladas, Ill be filling up on chorizo and margaritas at our local mexican place!
With all this food talk, Im getting hungry too!lol!
Tricia

Tricia

Photobucket