1st preg at 40, have a couple of ?S

iVillage Member
1st preg at 40, have a couple of ?S
Tue, 08-14-2007 - 11:42am

Hi,

This is my first time posting. I have recently found out I am 9 weeks pregnant. It will be my first pregnancy, and at the age of 40....

I never could believe I could become pregnant. I was told at a young age babies were not in my future, so I did not persue it. So imagine my surpise!

My question: all has to do with testing. I am really behind on figuring this all out, and could use all the help anyone can over. Between my 12 and 13th week, my doctor is sending me for an ultrascreen. He says it is a blood test and measurement of the neck of the baby. When i asked if it is the quad blood screen, he said no. It is a newer test. He is not considering me a high risk. Any other test i want to do is up to me ie amnio or the cvs? test.

First, have yall heard of the ultrscreen he is sending me too? if so, how do yall rate it? also, what do you think of the cvs or amnio test? I know both have miscarriage rates.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Debbie

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2007 - 2:08pm
Hi Debbie, First, congratulations! I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy!
Second, is your doctor sending you for a level 2 ultrasound? Ive not heard of the ultracreen per se but it may be the same test. I know that with the level 2 the fold at the back of the neck is measured and they look for mid line abnormalities like, cleft palate, heart problems etc.. They are all signs of chromosomal(sp?) abnormalities. If the level 2 indicates there are problems, you can opt for a more invasive test like amnio. I had my first child at 38 and had the level 2, but requardless of the results, I knew that I would not have an amnio. In my opinion, the most important question to ask yourself when concidering amnio is, what would you do if the results were a child with downs or another chromosomal issue. If you would continue with the pregnancy, why even have the test and risk the pregnancy. If you might opt not to continue the pregnancy, go for the test. Only you and your partner can make a choice like that. Im definitely not the most informed on this board. Lots of these women amaze me with what they know! Im sure we will all learn something from your post!
Best of luck and take care!
Tricia

Tricia

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2007 - 2:12pm

Hi Debbie:

Congrats on your BFP!

From what I know of the NT scan (measurement and blood test) it is better than the AFP/ quad screen. If I were choosing between the two I'd do with the NT.

I am 41 and 20 weeks pg. This time I actually went fo the cvs - but only because I have had a lot of anxiety after losing my last baby in the 18th week and needed early reassurance. CVS and amnio are diagnostic - amnio gives you more information (chromosonal and NT results) but is given later. NT scan and AFP are screening tests - just give you a statistic.

I have three DDs who where born when I was 32,24 and 37 and I didn't have cvs or amnio with them and was perfectly ok with that. I think my loss just left me in a different place mentally so for me the reassurance was critical.

Sometimes I get irritated when I hear the AMA stats. It just makes us all freak out even though most babies born to us seasoned gals are healthy! The odds are still overwhelmingly in our favor.

Andrea

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2007 - 3:35pm

Thank you Andrea. I appreciate you taking the time and answer.

Congrats on the baby.

Debbie

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2007 - 3:38pm

Thank you Tricia.

I think you are right that they are the same test. If the 2nd level shows nothing, is there a reason to have the amnio?

My manfriend wants to have the amnio, and I am listing the pros and cons. Since I will be basically the sole provider for the child, I want to make sure I have all the info necessary.

Debbie

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2007 - 5:52pm

Hi,

I lurk on this board on and off. I was 40 when I got pregnant and 41 when I had my dd (now almost 3) after 2 miscarriages.

I agree with everything pp's said about CVS/amnio vs. screening tests. I just wanted to tell you that NT should be done btw 11-12 wks, it gives the most accurate result then. So don't wait *until* 12 wks: a bit of a wait and you may be too late and then get a higher # and get all worried for no reason (general rule about nuchal translucency is that the higher the # the greater the risk; cutoff for 'worrisome' in the US is 3mm, in the UK it is 5mm). This is what I did: I scheduled NT and CVS for the same day (11wk 2d). Then NT turned out to be good, and I didn't do the CVS, but waited until 16wks to do amnio (amnio gives a bit more of a complete result and is therefore more definitive; in fact, if something pops up on CVS they do an amnio a bit later to confirm/refute the finding anyway).

Which tests to do is a very individual decision. It is much easier to terminate at 12 wks (should you decide, based on CVS results) than at 16wks (based on amnio results), which is why I think my MD pushed CVS. But CVS is also done somewhat less than amnio, so chances that it causes a problem tends to be higher (this is totally dependent on the actual MD who does the procedure). I read that an MD should do at least a couple of procedures a week for you to feel safe going to him/her for it. You should ask them their success rate.

I also wanted to add that women do diagnostic tests (CVS/amnio) not only b/c they would terminate, but also they want to be prepared should there be a problem. It depends on how much you personally need to know what is going on with the baby.

Best wishes!

LD

Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2007 - 10:07pm
Hi Debbie,
I think even with good results from the level 2, there is still a chance that the baby could have problems. Your doctor will give you your personal odds. With my first, my odds were 1 in 1200, very good. Your odds will never be zero. I know, for me, amnio is up in the air until the level 2 results are in.
Read everything you can and just keep in mind there is no perfect answer.
Keep posting...
Tricia

Tricia

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2007 - 11:34pm
My name is Robin I just turned 41,I have 4 girls ages 13,15,16,18,I am 7 1/2 months pregnant with my one and only son.This pregnancy was a surprise to us.I was real scared because of my age.I was 3 1/2 months along when I found out I was pregnant,by the time I got an appt with my Ob Doctor,I was 4 months.Then they ordered an ultrasound,that took me 3 weeks to get that appt.They did the ultrasound (level 2)they said all looks fine.They asked me about an amnio,They said I couldn't do the other test,where they take a sample of the placenta,because they said I was too far along for that,On the amnio they said it was 1 in 200 of a miscarriage.They told me it would be weeks before they could do the test,and another 10 days for results.And in my case(this is only my case)they said by the time I get results(the state of Arizona laws would be,I would be too far along to do anything about it) So (in my case I didn't do the amnio)I went with the ultrasound being good,and I left it in gods hands.But in your case,you should do ,what you,yourself feels is best for you,it should be a decision you can be comfortable with,this is my 5th pregnancy,but it feels like my first,it's like starting over again,everythings new to me.I suggest you follow your own instint on what test to do and what not to do.Best of luck to you..keep in touch..
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2007 - 8:35am

First of all congratulations!

Elise

IMGsrc="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/1bb1f6/ttc.png"border=0>

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2007 - 7:40pm

Hi,

The ultrasound blood test at 12 to 13 weeks will give the doctor an idea of your risk for having a downs baby. The doctor will then give you the chances of it occuring. I didn't find out I was pregnant till I was 14 weeks pregnant. The doctors will also give you an ultrasound at 18 weeks with a blood test. They'll evaluate the ultrasouond and the results of the blood test and then give you your chances of having a downs baby and they can also tell about the heart and spine problems.

My doctor did the blood test and ultrasound at 18 weeks. He analyzed the results and gave me a 97% chance of having a baby without downs syndrome. He then asked if I wanted an amnio to determine if the baby would have downs. He didn't recommend it unless I was emotionally distraught or if I wanted to terminate the pregnancy. Since, we'll keep the baby no matter what I didn't think having an amnio was worth it. It increases the risk of miscarriage by 1%. The doctor also told me that my baby looks very very healthy, so we're really excited about that.

It did take 2 weeks for the results and the doctor called us on friday night at 8 pm and left a message on our answering machine without the results. I was horribly upset all weekend looking up everythiing I could find on Downs syndrome all weekend. Some babies with downs have normal i.q. and can learn to lead independent lives. It would still be a hard life for the child though.

I hope that answers your questions.