Level 2 U/S after Amnio

iVillage Member
Level 2 U/S after Amnio
Tue, 08-21-2007 - 2:08pm
Hi! I'm new here. Due Jan 21 and have had Amnio and everything is fine. Then my Dr. says that I need a level II U/S to check for physical abnormalities because of my age. I'm 44. Anyone else have this. I'd just started breathing easy because I was worried not just over the regular genetic issues but the neural tube problems since baby was a surprise and I hadn't been eating right. What are we looking for and does anyone have data on the odds of these problems?

Siggy

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2007 - 7:09pm
I do remember having u/s 6 weeks after my amnios. I don't remember if they were level II or not (hey....I'm old and my memory is shot!). I'm sure all is fine...expecially if the amnio came back normal.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2007 - 9:30pm
I'd say better safe than sorry. Even if the amnio is perfect things can happen. My last pg at 40 should of been watched more carefully. Level ll u/s would look for other abnormalities, and check the placenta.

Kim

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-22-2007 - 7:52pm

Kim is right. I had a level II ultrasound every month to check for growth, fluid volume and that the placenta was functioning well. Any one of these being off could be signs of serious problems that might make early delivery necessary.

Our age does make us more prone to these problems and your doctor is just taking good care of you.

Carole

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-23-2007 - 9:49pm
I had a level II U/S with my first pregnancy at age 30. I didn't have an amnio w/that pregnancy. I thought the level II was just the standard thing to have to be sure every thing was fine from a physical development standpoint. I'm scheduled for my level II at 18wks and I just rec'd my CVS results that everything is genetically normal.
Cathie, mom to Audrey & Emily 12 yrs, Libby 2 yrs