D&C or miscarry

iVillage Member
D&C or miscarry
Mon, 09-10-2007 - 10:12am

Question: I am having a miscarriage and have a D&C scheduled for Wednesday. I started spotting on Sunday. I am inclined to postpone the surgery and see if my body will take care of this on its own. Any opinions? Do you know of any advantage to having the D&C?

Amanda

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2007 - 12:26pm

Amanda,

I am so sorry about your miscarriage. Can I ask how far along you were when you miscarried? I never had a D&C, all my miscarriages were at home. If I had enough time, I would've preferred a D&C for my last miscarriage 'cause the baby was so big (17 weeks)...miscarrying at home was horrifying 'cause we had to cut the umbilical cord and it was just horrible. I also miscarried at 7-1/2 weeks and that was horrible 'cause it was my first miscarriage--but in retrospect, that was OK to miscarry at home 'cause I was able to curl up in bed right after...there is a lot of blood loss though, so please be prepared.

I would say if this is your first miscarriage, it may be better to go to the hospital and they will take care of it all for you. If you were further along than 7 or 8 weeks, I would also go to the hospital.

Whatever you choose, please remember to go to the doctor for a followup visit to make sure all the tissue has been removed. Scar tissue can hinder you from getting pregnant again.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss. :-(

Lois
p.s. Also, remind your doctor to test the tissue. Sometimes they can determine what the cause of the miscarriage was.

Edited 9/10/2007 12:39 pm ET by loiswillbepregnant

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2007 - 1:59pm

Amanda,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I had a m/c last summer. I found out during my 12 wk. u/s that the baby had died around 9 wks. but I didn't even know! My OB scheduled a D&C for three days later but I started bleeding heavily the night before the D&C. It was scary, I was bleeding a lot and passing these huge clots. I'm glad I went in and had the D&C the next day because I couldn't take much more of that. It didn't hurt and I was glad that it was over with that day. Unless you weren't that far along I would definately recommend the D&C. Maybe you could have it moved up to tomorrow. Best of luck.

Michele

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2007 - 3:44pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. Having gone through this myself in July, I would recommend having the D&C. I tried to m/c naturally. I was 12 weeks (baby measured 6). The pain was not bad but the bleeding got out of control and I almost passed out a couple times and ended up in the ER with a D&E. It was very scary. I know it doesn't always turn out that way but I wouldn't personally try to m/c naturally again. (((Hugs)))

Lynne