Amnio ?

iVillage Member
Amnio ?
Tue, 10-30-2007 - 7:21am

Hi everyone

I am doing great! I am not sure I want to go for an amnio? I have talked to my nurse practioner about it but I am not sure what I could do if the results were not good anyways.
Does anyone else feel that way? And hearing a few of you say it is painful..well another
reason and m/c. I will go for the screening.

I did go for my ultrasound last friday. 7wks6d pg. I saw the heartbeating. Too cool !

CindyC

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: mom43on5th
Tue, 10-30-2007 - 8:21am
It's a tough decision. I'm still not sure what I want to do. I'm going for the screenings and then going to make up my mind. I've had an amnio before and it's not very pleasant, but it's a definitive answer. I'm happy you got to see the heartbeat!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-30-2007 - 10:23am
Hello!

p15296s1102107_33_0-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-30-2007 - 4:08pm

I have to reply to this post re: inaccuracy of amnio, as there was recently another post on another board asking this question specifically (though I am aware that this is not what the op asked). Amnio is the most accurate test currently available. If something is found on the amnio, it is really there. Now, the question is just because they can find a genetic anomaly, that does not mean that they know how it will present. Clearly, more frequent ones are much better known than the rare ones.

If there are errors on amnio they must be exceedingly rare. Can you imagine the lawsuit for such a mistake? It is probably for the same reason that doctors overdo the possibility of a bad outcome--they don't want to be sued, should something worse than they predicted, come to pass.

Vera

Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2007 - 3:39pm

hi

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2007 - 4:14pm
I don't think amnio is 100%, but it is close to it (I think 95+), and the best we have. But results are not necessarily easy to interpret. There are chromosomal anomalies that give no rise to effects in children, and then there are many people with problems while having apparently totally normal chromosomes. I don't mean to complicate things, but there are limits to info amnio can provide as well. (From my reading of that post, the poster's daughter was urged to have amnio, but I didn't see that she actually had one.)

Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2007 - 4:49pm
No, they told us from the measurements on the u/s that he had down's and wanted us to have amnio.

p15296s1102107_33_0-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-31-2007 - 11:39pm
This is exactly how I feel!! I don't know if I'll do it. I'm 42 and 10 weeks 5 days. I see the genetisit Dec 12, I believe. Don't think I want it. Cathleen
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-01-2007 - 2:55pm

Hi,

I have never had an amnio because of the fear of miscarrying. I seriously considered having one in my last pregnancy, because my third child has Down Syndrome. I would not have aborted, I just wanted to know because I had been completely shocked when my son was born with DS (this case meaning Down Syndrome). After a very lengthy conversation with my doctor (who happened to deliver my baby w/DS), he recommended I do the triple screen test, then after seeing what my results were, determining whether or not to have the amnio. I think he threw out a number such as 1/500, meaning if it was above that, not to worry. This was only a number for ME (and what I would've felt comfortable with), not the average woman my age (then 38). My results came back over that, so I chose not to have it done. Maybe you could ask your doctor what a reasonable number would be to help you decide if you could live with not having an amnio? For me, that really helped.

I would just like to add that having a child with DS is not the end of the world, though it may seem so if you don't know anyone with one or know anything about it. My son is truly a blessing and brings more joy to our lives than we EVER could have imagined, and everybody who meets him LOVES him!! I could not be more proud to call him mine. (I realize this is not what the average woman on here wants to read.) I wish you the best!

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-02-2007 - 7:58pm

It's very important that you and your husband talk about what you will do with the information you find out from amnio, should you decide to have amnio-- this is a big discussion that I don't know if all couples are having.

Proud Mommy to Andrew (14), Madison (8) and Sage born 3/28