I am so sick! UGH!

iVillage Member
I am so sick! UGH!
Fri, 12-14-2007 - 8:23am
I have a terrible cold!

p15296s1102107_33_0-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-14-2007 - 12:18pm

Okay I did a search on the safety of flonase, claritin & hydrocortisone during pregnancy. Your doctor may need some re-educating.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-14-2007 - 3:26pm

You can try Ocean nasal spray. It is just saline spray to clear your nose. You should also look into Tylenol cold. Just ask your pharmacist what is safe over the counter medicine for you than look it up on the safe meds list. You should run it past your doctor but it doesn't sound like he is up to date...

Hope you feel better soon!

Tricia

Tricia

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-14-2007 - 5:16pm

Hi Tonya,

I'm sorry to hear that you are so miserable. I just wanted to say that I took Zyrtec, which is an antihistamine just like Claratin, and therefore comparable, and Flovent, which is exactly the same chemical as Flonase, only in inhaler form, throughout both of my previous pregnancies with no ill effects. To become a Class A drug, there has to have been extensive testing that takes many, many years -- you can be fairly certain that Class B drugs are okay. The problem with antihistamines, like Claratin, is that they tend to dehydrate you, which can lead to kidney stones or even premature labor, so just make sure that you stay good and hydrated while taking it. While it is always better to avoid unnecessary drugs during pregnancy, I just thought I would let you know what my experience has been on these medications, as you probably don't want to remain miserable if you can avoid it. Hope you feel better soon!

Audrey

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-14-2007 - 6:15pm
Just an update.

p15296s1102107_33_0-1.jpg

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-16-2007 - 12:41am

I just wanted to give my 2 cents if that is ok. I use both Flonase and Claritin with my last 4 pregnancies and all of my babies are just fine. I had no problem with using them. I like to breath through my nose, and sleep and the baby needs you to be

DeeNise

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-23-2007 - 9:50pm

I think I got your cold LOL...

this is the second time so far having a stuffy nose while pregnant, totally sucks. I know what you mean, cant breath.. lay on one side.. nose stopps up.. lay on other side nose stops up...

I find that I do end up falling asleep, but... then I breath out my mouth.. and wake up with very dry throat. I got some halls cough drops. and put some vicks on my chest, and do the best I can. Right now im more concerned about all the sneezing im doing, after all baby on bladder and a big sneeze always leads to wet panties... this totally sucks. the next person who comes with in 10 feet of me while sick, im gonna shoot.

Dyan

pregnancy