labor and delivery classes. yes or no?

iVillage Member
labor and delivery classes. yes or no?
Mon, 12-17-2007 - 12:45am

Hello there! I'm 32 weeks and about ready to start the labor and delivery classes w/ my husband. The only class we've been able to get into is Lamaze. I have no interest in a Lamaze delivery.

Years ago I went to labor and delivery classes for my first child that I thought were really pretty silly. I just couldn't get into all the relaxation exercises, etc.

Anyone opting NOT to go to these classes?

I am taking the parenting classes that teach you how to care for a newborn and the breastfeeding classes.

Thanks for your opinions!

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-17-2007 - 4:23am

I think if you have already had a baby you know what is going to happen, and you know how to care for and breastfeed a baby. I think delivery classes might be more useful than the other ones. Or maybe it was just that care/breastfeeding classes I went to were utterly useless.

Vera

Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-17-2007 - 6:59pm

Jessica,

I didn't go to birthing/prenatal classes with my first son and I was glad in the end.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-18-2007 - 10:34am

I'm totally with you on thinking that they are pretty silly; my DH and I felt that they were a complete waste of our time. Plus, you already know what you are going to be going through. I would take a tour of L&D in your hospital, if it is not the same hospital that you delivered in previously. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Audrey

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-18-2007 - 7:17pm

I'm not doing any either.