First Week Home

iVillage Member
First Week Home
Sat, 01-12-2008 - 2:22pm

After 4 days at home, I'm trying to remember the 'early days' with Sabina without much luck. The last couple of nights, the only way I've been able to get Anna to sleep for any length of time without squirming and fussing is in my arms. So, needless to say, I'm not getting much sleep (and am not very comfortable when I do sleep). How soon does this become a habit? Yikes. I'm trying to get her to nap in her bassinet today instead of in my lap - we'll see if it helps. My sister also brought her co-sleeper over last night - maybe that will work better than the bassinet next to the bed - we'll see.

She also hates getting her diaper and clothes changed - HATES it. I don't remember that with Bina either - I hope she gets over that soon.

We had a really rough night Thursday night - she started fussing and not being able to latch on, which led to screaming by her, crying by me - not fun. She did better last night, thank heavens.

And so it goes. Can't believe it will be a week already tomorrow. Part of me wants the next couple of weeks to fly by so she can get into more of a routine, but I also don't want to wish this time away - I just want to hold her on my lap and watch her sleep some more. :-) How do you balance it? Sleep deprivation is robbing me of reason, I guess.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Just hoping to get a shower and get out of my robe today. ;-)

Kitty

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

pregnancy
Sister Siggy Fall 08

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: ktcruiser
Sat, 01-12-2008 - 8:05pm

HI Kitty,

I never had my kids in a bassinet, while I was nursing I had the baby in the bed with me, that way I could lay down and they could lay next to me, and I could nurse and doze off at the same time, remember babies at this age dont roll so maybe get in the lounge chair with her recline and she can sleep on you while you sleep in the lazy boy.

I did nurse my first son sitting up, but I feel asleep while he was nursing and I woke up with a start and nearly dropped the baby, (yep I know bad mommy)so thats why I nursed laying down after that.

My last child didnt sleep through the night till she was 3 years old, she would wake up every two hours screaming and If I didnt get up an do somthing with her she would vomit.. so then I would have to clean up a mess and still deal with a non sleeping kid. It was a night mare but I did get through it.

Are you wrapping her in the blanket tightly, I know they are supposed to like being swaddled it makes them feel like they are in the womb still.

Just remember you sleep when she sleeps and you are awake when she is awake. I would try sleeping with her in bed with you, you can place her right next to you and she can hear your heart beat and feel your warmth, you can spoil a child at this age, with her sleeping with you. I did this will all of my children and non of them ever wanted to sleep with me on a regular basis.

What about daddy, daddies are usually very warm and babies like sleeping on them. Cant she sleep on daddy for a while so you can get a nap in? I do plan on nursing but I also plan on using formula too, so daddy can feed baby too. I didnt like pumping my milk, and I dont even own a pump right now. I remember my first child back in 1990, I had a manual pump... OMG what a nightmare that was.. and painful... so not worth it.

I hope you are feeling better, you will find your routine, and btw, the first child is usually the best behaved, because if they werent most people wouldnt have a second child.

hugs
Dyan

pregnancy

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-13-2008 - 1:50am

Thanks for sharing your first week's trials and tribulations with us.

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-13-2008 - 2:18pm

I can totally relate to all of this-Rory is 3 weeks old and still seems to think day time is for sleeping and night time is for squirming around and fussing.

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-13-2008 - 7:07pm

AWWWWWWWW, I know it seems difficult, but my DD will be 9 months and I love that "getting to figure baby out" week, (okay, more than a week).

As pp said, I layed down to nurse.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-15-2008 - 3:12am
Try a swaddle blanket.
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-15-2008 - 4:34pm

Thank you all for the suggestions. I did buy a swaddle blanket today, which I will try, but she loves to have her hands out and by her face, so we'll see if it helps. Last night, between feedings, fussing and endless poopy diapers, we got less sleep than ever. Right now, she is squirming around in her bassinet, though every time I pick her up to feed her, she falls asleep as soon as she is done.

Nursing lying down has been good, except now she's had a few episodes of coughing/gagging while eating, so the ped said to try to keep her upright while eating to see if that helps (which will be a good trick to figure out...) Sabina had bad reflux - I am so hoping Anna will avoid it.

Thanks again,
Kitty

pregnancy
Sister Siggy Fall 08
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-16-2008 - 3:55pm

Did the swaddle blanket help?

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-16-2008 - 3:58pm

Hi Kitty,

Have you tried the co-sleeper yet?

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-16-2008 - 9:17pm

Kitty,

ugh! The sleep deprivation feels like torture.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-17-2008 - 1:07pm

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. :-)

I tried the swaddling blanket, but she manages to get her arms out no matter what, so not sure how effective it really is, though I do think she likes it around her legs/body. I also tried the co-sleeper thinking it would be closer to me, easier for me to put my hand on her. It doesn't really help either.

Yesterday, I put her in the bouncy seat for the first time during the day, and she seemed pretty content in it. So, we tried the trick that used to work with Sabina last night - put the bouncy seat on the bed between our pillows, propped up the front legs on a pillow so it laid more flat, and put her in that. She still squirmed and grunted and was restless most of the night in there. It's amazing how long this child can keep that up. So, finally, around 6 AM after I fed her, I just held her in my arms and we slept for 3 more hours that way. She sleeps like an angel when I'm holding her, of course. :-) She is asleep in her bassinet right now - it seems to be easier during the day.

I think once she gets day and night a little more straight, it may be easier. Until then, I guess I'll be holding her most of the night. I really don't mind that much - I like having her snuggled on my chest - but I get uncomfortable because I end up in the same position for hours and can't shift around much. Ah well, I know it won't last forever, and I guess I should enjoy the cuddling while I can.

I am concerned that she may be starting to show early signs of reflux - Sabina had it for over a year. I was hoping to avoid it this time - I guess we'll see.

Thanks again,
Kitty

pregnancy
Sister Siggy Fall 08

Pages