Temperature drop at 10 weeks?

iVillage Member
Temperature drop at 10 weeks?
Fri, 02-15-2008 - 1:33pm

Has anyone been taking temperatures during the first trimester of their pregnancy?

I keep meaning to stop, but have kept going from habit and have been very worried by a constant falling from 37.1C 4 days ago to 36.8 today. I'm still above the cover line of my last cycle, but am worried that if this keeps continuing I'm going to dip below it. The last time this happened I had a m/c (at 7 weeks).

Does anyone know if I should be worrying this much or if temperature drops are normal later on in the first trimester? I still feel pregnant...nothing has changed apart from this.

Thanks

Torielle

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-15-2008 - 4:28pm

Hi!

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-15-2008 - 6:59pm

HI, my advice, contact your doctor, dont wait to see if anyone else post. I was doing some reading about "Miscarriage and Basal Body Temperature" they didnt say conclusivly that a temperature drop would be an indication of a Miscarriage, but they did say to continue to monitor it during the first trimester and you see a drop that you should contact your doctor. I never took my temp because I never had a problem getting pregnant and my pregnancies were very uneventful (thank god). So get off line call your doctor and go in and see him/her. better to be safe then sorry, I always say. They also said to stop taking your temp after the first trimester that it was no longer necessary. I am not trying to upset you or make you worry, but just call your doc and let the person you are paying to keep you healthy earn his/her money.

Let us know what he/she says because im sure someone else would love to know the answer, I personally think things will be ok, because you are so close to the 2nd trimester.

good luck

Dyan

baby development

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-16-2008 - 4:55am

So I have decided to take both of these conflicting pieces of advice!

My doctor doesnt work weekends, so I

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-16-2008 - 8:53am

I confess I am an obsessive temp taker from when I ovulate and usually pretty late into pregancy.

Photobucket

A baby is a gift from God

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-16-2008 - 12:12pm

I don't know why, but I just DO think you are alright.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-16-2008 - 6:47pm

Hi Torielle,

I agree that if you are concerned, go see the doctor. You can hear the baby's heartbeat and be reassured...and while a doctor can't stop a miscarriage in progress, he/she can recommend things that may help it from happening (bed rest, medication, heparin injections or whatever may be needed).

I, too, feel that the slight temp dip isn't indicative of anything. But as I tend to be a worrier, I would ask the doc what he/she thought.

I have a feeling you are fine...and will feel even better once you are checked out!

xxoo
Lois

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-16-2008 - 10:30pm

Hi Torielle,

It sounds like everything is going to be fine. It is so hard not to worry. The past couple of days I have been having almost constant twinges of pain on either side of my uterus and of course I am worrying about it. I see my OB on Tuesday.

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-17-2008 - 4:24am

Thank you all, you have helped to put my mind at rest alot. I have an appointment with the doctor this Friday, so I'll just hang on until then.

I

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-17-2008 - 11:46am

Torielle,

I know that even if I say not to worry, you will still worry a little (it's our nature!)...but try not to worry too much. It sounds like you're fine. Really!

Regarding D&C etc. There really is no norm. Some of my friends scheduled D&Cs 'cause their bodies wouldn't do it themselves. My miscarriages ranged from 7-1/2 weeks to almost 18 weeks and they were all at home because they happened suddenly and quickly, so there was no time to get to the doctor's. (Given the choice, I would've preferred it happened at the hospital, I think).

YOU WILL BE FINE. I'm glad you'll be seeing your doc soon.

xxoo
Lois

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-17-2008 - 12:02pm

Hey Maura !

I also am having those twinges you speak about.