Nasty midwife and due date issues.

iVillage Member
Nasty midwife and due date issues.
Sun, 03-02-2008 - 12:46pm

I have been going to a clinic (due to no insurance) which do not have OB doctors, but instead have midwives. One is very nice and supportive, the other...well, not so "nice" I guess you can say.

Since I don't have any insurance, they have pretty much refused to do any ultrasounds on me because I would have to pay for them myself (at $1,000 each time), I can't afford it. So, I've been going to a 3d/4d ultrasound place and only have to pay $135/first visit, $74.50/second visit, 3rd visit free. Much more affordable and in color at that.

The one midwife is all for it and said she was going to start referring clients that don't have insurance there. They have a certified doctor that looks over each ultrasound performed, the lady that does the ultrasound has been certified for 14 years and she is actually someone who travels all over the US to train others on the GE machine they use for the ultrasound. Very qualified if you ask me.

The other midwife is very negative about the entire situation...telling me they have no experience, are not real doctors, she will not take anything they have to say seriously etc. It's kind of pissing me off.

My question is.... I had my IUD removed to try to have a baby and was pregnant (as far as we could guess) after 6 weeks. BUT, there's no real way of knowing by going by my "period". When the IUD was removed, I bled for 2 weeks straight, was off a week and bled lightly for about 3 days. Not really sure if you could call it a period. So....they simply guessed a due date of April 30th.

I went and had my ultrasound done and from the measurements, said I was further along and my actual due date would be April 20th.

I just recently went for another ultrasound and the measurements gave a due date of April 13th and at least an 8 pound baby if I carry to term.

According to the midwife...you can't go by any ultrasound done in the 3rd trimester because the baby is too big and the due date they will give you will be off by about 3 weeks.

Does anyone know if this is true? Do the ultrasounds get less accurate the further along you get in your pregnancy? I'm just trying to figure out if she's just being negative as usual or if this has any truth to it. Let me know if any of you have ever heard anything of the sort. Thanks

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-02-2008 - 11:30pm

well, there is no way to actually set exact due date they are usually off by a few days, but I did read that ultrasound dating was more accurate then period dating. my ultra sound said my due date was the 10th of January, but I ended up being induced on the 15th of January. so see there was a 5 day difference. I will tell you this your baby will come when your baby is ready and due dates are really just a guideline as to when you may go in to labor.

I am sorry you have such a crabby midwife.. that has to suck, but take her with a grain of salt. Sometimes (and im not defending her on her lack of bedside manners) the crabby ones may be more experienced, and they may not want to gloss things over and make everything all sunny.. then again, she may just be a bitter hag who isnt getting laid anymore and is jealous of you because you are. All that really matters is that you have a healthy happy baby.

Good luck
Dyan

baby development

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-03-2008 - 8:27am

It's always been my understanding that ultrasounds are extremely effective in determining baby's gestational age (i.e., due date) before 20 weeks. Before 20 weeks, babies pretty much develop at the same rate. It's after 20 weeks that u/s aren't as useful to determine due dates because baby's development rate isn't as predictable.

There is always some ifyness with u/s regardless. The date could be off as much as a week in either direction or a pound in either direction.

Sorry about the nasty midwife. Some people need to find another profession.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-03-2008 - 10:18am

That is also my understanding -- that earlier ultrasounds are more accurate for dating purposes.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-03-2008 - 12:47pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I know that there is no way to determine the exact due date (however with my other 3 children I have delivered within a 2 day period from when my due date was). But from April 13 to April 30 is quite a big difference to me.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2008 - 9:23pm

Well, I have some MAJOR concerns about my midwives now after the last 3 weeks.

I have been told during my 2-3rd trimester that the baby has been head down the entire time. After going to my ultrasound (3d/4d) 3 weeks ago, I was informed that she is actually breech. When I told the midwife this, she "all of a sudden" agreed. The following week I have BOTH midwives check me (doing an external exam by feeling) that the babys head was down, spine to the side and the bum is up. They would grab a hold of a round substance (very painful) and wiggling it back and forth saying...this is the head. You

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2008 - 10:41pm

No one had any comments on what I should do?

I'm now 38 weeks and I realize it's too late to "change" doctors. But of course, I still have concerns with my pregnant daughter going to them as well for the rest of her pregnancy.

I have, or course, learned other things over the last couple of weeks that just add to the fire.

One of them is a comment made at my last visit: "Oh, I see you still have blood in your urine". I'm like 'WHAT? Since when?" Midwife: "Oh, you've had blood in your urine over the last couple of months. No one told you about it? There's nothing to be concerned with if you are not having any problems."

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 12:10am

I am sorry you didnt get a reply

I am wondering where you live that all there are are midwifes around, where I live I have never even met a midwife and probably wouldnt consider even going to one. To me a midwife may have had special training but and obgyn has had more training and I want that, second when you were told that you had blood in your urine I would have gotten up demanded a copy of you records and went someplace else they seem very negligent to me. Blood in urine isnt a good thing, it can mean anything but last I checked its not normal! At this point in the game go for a second opinion someplace else. explain to the new doctor what is happening. if I didnt feel right, I dont think I would want them cutting into me for a c section god knows what they might forget inside ya, How does your daughter feel about going to them? maybe you both should find a new place to go.

As for internals my doctor only did them once I reached 34 weeks.

With your baby being breach, have you tried resting your head on a pillow and putting your butt in the air, I read somewhere that that could encourage the baby to turn. Just a suggestion.

Good luck

Dyan

baby Mikey at 2 months Wow what a change

baby development

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 11:32am

Well, to explain why I have a midwife...

I only work part time (with no benefits). I have been there for 8 years and love my job. (I work from home and visit clients making my own schedule). It's the perfect job and allows me to spend as much time with my kids as possible. This is why I haven't switched to a full time, away from home, type job.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 8:47pm

Do they do referrals in case of "emergency"? Or if you are really worried, you could present at the emergency room and say you "saw" blood in your urine... I'll bet they would do some blood work or something, but that might be costly if your health folks won't cover it.

I'm sorry its like this. I know there are two different opinions on internals. I got a lot on my first preg, and except for a transvaginal u/s early on, no one has gone "there", yet. It makes me nervous. Its really hard when you don't think you're getting the right care, especially for us older moms. Not really knowing what week you are, too...boy!

I'm keeping you in my thoughts, let us know how its going, okay? I hope things get better!

Ginger

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 11:12pm

I know the costs are high, I just got my bill from my doctor for the birth the total bill was 3600 dollars, that doesnt include hospital and the baby doctor after delivery. What does the midwife cost? I hope its much less then that. We are lucky we have insurance from my husbands work and they paid a lot of it for us.

You know, if they are not even going to be in the delivery room with you, whats the point? Seems like you are paying them to use their dopler to hear the heart beat and to measure you belly, gee anyone can do that. I have had so many kids I probably could do it too.

I would have your daughter switch and I would tell them to stick it. I hope you get a good doctor thats on call at the hospital.

Good luck

Dyan

baby Mikey at 2 months Wow what a change

baby development

Pages