Neck ache

iVillage Member
Neck ache
Tue, 03-04-2008 - 8:30am

I've had neck ache for about 3 weeks now. It started as a stiff neck and shoulders and has now moved up to the base of my head. I'm 3 months pregnant. Has anyone else had this? Could it be

iVillage Member
In reply to: toriellemom
Tue, 03-04-2008 - 5:43pm

Oh Torielle,

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-06-2008 - 12:56pm
You might want to see a chiropractor (find one trained to work with pregnant patients). I was seeing a chiropractor and he manipulated my neck several times, and it feels just fine now. I used to have a serious ongoing problem with a
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-06-2008 - 3:18pm

I agree with the chiropractic recommendation.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-06-2008 - 9:28pm
I used a gel hot pack on my neck so I could get around the no hot bath thing. But what really fixed it was using a rolled up t-shirt under my neck to position it better. I think it was the altering body weight/shape that was making sleeping bad for my neck. So, you might try playing with neck position while you sleep, it helped me...
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-07-2008 - 8:57am

I agree that it's probably the way that you are sleeping. I've had neckaches on and off for the past 6 months (so not pregnancy related) and I'm sure it's my cheapo flat-as-a-pancake pillow that I desperately need to replace.

As for baths, you want to avoid those throughout the entire pregnancy. It's dangerous to baby because submerging in a hot bath heats your body up - heating baby up as well. It's best to just not even take a bath (or hot tub or sauna) until after baby.

Hope your neck feels better soon. You never realize how often you turn your head until your neck hurts!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-10-2008 - 9:16am

Thanks for all of the advice. Following a rather violent massage by DH, it actually feels alot better. I co-sleep with DD, and have to twist around her, so it probably IS the way I have been sleeping.

On the baths, I had thought that I could take them again in the 2nd trimester (I did in my last pregnancy...) I had hoped to go to a massage bath with water jets quite soon (I'm in my 14th week). Are they really to be avoided all the way through pregnancy? Does anyone else have any ideas on this?

torielle