How can I choose? What would you do?

iVillage Member
How can I choose? What would you do?
Tue, 04-01-2008 - 7:13pm

I have about a week to make a MAJOR decision (to me) with my pregnancy and I just don't know what to do. I'm looking for anyone that might have done any of these and what their opinions are.

I am 37 weeks along with a breech baby. My midwife told me at todays appointment that I have a decision to make by my next appointment next week (after I have another ultrasound to confirm that she is still breech).

1) Decide to have a C-Section. (This scares me TO DEATH!!!) I had a good friend that died 3 years ago from a C-Section and having her 3rd child. I know this is not the "norm", but when it's someone you know...it makes it more real.

2) Decide to try to have the baby breech-IF the doctors at the hospital I go to will allow it.

3) Schedule an aversion (sp?) and see if the hospital will give me the epidural for the procedure (there is NO other way I'm doing this w/o it) and then after the baby is turned, break my water to throw me into labor. Which I'm told that they would have to let the epidural wear off during those stages of labor because they would not want me on my back during the entire labor. Then turn the medicine back on later in the labor.

None of these appeal to me of course. All of them scare the heebie-jeebie's out of me.

Any thoughts, experiences etc. please......help

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2008 - 12:36am

I personally have not been through this but during a long labor with my DD they started talking c-section and I was so

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2008 - 11:19am

I HATE the idea of having a C-section too, but I've never heard that it was dangerous. Try not to think what happened to your friend would happen to you - the chances must be miniscule...

My first baby turned quite late and I was advised to spend time with my head below my tummy to avoid a breach baby. It may be a load of rubbish but I was told that breach babies were not a problem for women who spent time on their knees scrubbing floors.

I wish you all the best and please tell us how it goes.

Torielle

<Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2008 - 11:28am

First and foremost, do not, do not, do NOT NOT NOT attempt to have a breech baby vaginally. The largest part of the baby is his/her head and the last thing that you want is to get the baby out feet first to it's shoulders and then find out that the head isn't going to fit. (The only safe exception is twins if baby B is breech and that's if baby A came out head first and has "cleared the way".)

In answer to your questions though,:

1. Baby #1 was breech and he was born by c/s. Not to belittle your fears (I CANNOT imagine losing a friend to a c/s) but it is a very commonly performed, safe procedure. It is, though, still an operation and like all operations, there is always a risk (just like there is a risk delivering vaginally). The c/s rate is the US is like 38% and going up so thousands of babies are delivered safely that way everyday. Sometimes it is the safest option in getting baby out.

2. If you find a licensed OB/GYN that is willing to deliver baby breech, I would seriously question that doc.

3. I have not had a version but have heard from many that it tends to be an uncomfortable procedure. It's usually done at the hospital since the procedure alone can set you into labor. The doc and a nurse (or midwife, etc.) each push on your belly in the the same direction hoping to literally turn baby around. I've heard stories of it working. I've heard stories of it not working. I've heard stories of it working and then baby flips back to it's original position.

Have you tried any of the lesser invasive techniques to encourage baby to turn? Google "turning breech baby" or whatever and you'll get gobs of positions and exercises to hopefully get that baby facing the right way.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

Marci

Edited 4/3/2008 12:48 pm ET by loofagirl
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2008 - 12:32pm

Hi there Mitsu!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2008 - 12:32pm

Thanks for the opinions/advice.

As for the breech birth...it sounds scary to me and I'm not sure that's something that I want to do to begin with. But, the baby is not feet first, it is butt first. According to my midwife and a lot of reading I've been doing on breech births...that was common practice up until the 70's. It was just another birth. Then they started doing the c-sections and doctors have pushed for the c-sections more and more as if it's the "lazy" way out for them. IDK. just what I've been reading. I have also read many stories over on the home delivery forum where people deliver their own babies at home with no help and they are delivering breech babies like it's nothing. However, I don't think it's for me either way.

I've read many sites that tell "home" ways to try to get the baby to turn like: http://pregnancychildbirth.suite101.com/article.cfm/turning_a_breech_baby

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2008 - 12:46pm

Oh, yeah one other thing I forgot to mention about the aversion.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2008 - 10:58pm

Crap...why couldn't I have been watching TLC. :(

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2008 - 5:21pm

2 suggestions for you:

Go to spinningbabies.com. There are some safe

Lilypie

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2008 - 5:24pm

I would definitely give the acupuncturist and the moxa stick a try before considering anything else.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2008 - 6:27pm

I've read the spinning babies site. A lot of the things they suggest on there are things that I've already been told about. But thanks for the info.

As for the Chiropractor...I've done a lot of reading on that after someone suggested it. I have decided against that for several reasons. From what I'm reading they do things to align your neck, back and pelvic area. First of all, my pelvis is tilted and my spine is curved...so I'm not so sure that would be a good thing. Also the fact that if something went wrong and not being in the hospital just in case would probably scare me. So I have decided against that procedure.

Pages