How can I choose? What would you do?

iVillage Member
How can I choose? What would you do?
Tue, 04-01-2008 - 7:13pm

I have about a week to make a MAJOR decision (to me) with my pregnancy and I just don't know what to do. I'm looking for anyone that might have done any of these and what their opinions are.

I am 37 weeks along with a breech baby. My midwife told me at todays appointment that I have a decision to make by my next appointment next week (after I have another ultrasound to confirm that she is still breech).

1) Decide to have a C-Section. (This scares me TO DEATH!!!) I had a good friend that died 3 years ago from a C-Section and having her 3rd child. I know this is not the "norm", but when it's someone you know...it makes it more real.

2) Decide to try to have the baby breech-IF the doctors at the hospital I go to will allow it.

3) Schedule an aversion (sp?) and see if the hospital will give me the epidural for the procedure (there is NO other way I'm doing this w/o it) and then after the baby is turned, break my water to throw me into labor. Which I'm told that they would have to let the epidural wear off during those stages of labor because they would not want me on my back during the entire labor. Then turn the medicine back on later in the labor.

None of these appeal to me of course. All of them scare the heebie-jeebie's out of me.

Any thoughts, experiences etc. please......help

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 9:31pm

So should I just not go back....as in my appointment tomorrow with them and the one next week as well if I don't deliver this Thursday? Just leave them hanging the way that they have been doing me all this time?

The hospital told me to either go get my records for them to bring to the hospital or request that they send them over...so I guess I'm going to have to talk to them one way or the other. I would just prefer to just never talk to them again or see them.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 9:31pm

OH my god you have had such a hard time! I would say get your daughter out of the midwife place. I would say its time to complain!!! and i would say congrats for taking things in your own hands. I know this must totally suck, soon though you are going to have your baby, I know you are scared of the C-section because of what happened to your friend, but I have feeling that you are going to be just fine, there are Many more woman who have no problems then there are one who have a problem, the odds are in your favor.

there has to be an ethics board that deals with the midwives and how they practice. I am sure you can complain to the board of health, or someone of that nature.

Good luck on thursday!

Dyan

baby Mikey at 2 months Wow what a change

baby development

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 9:38pm

Thanks Dyan, you've been great to talk to during this entire crappy situation of mine. It really helps...you just don't know.

I definately called around today to find my daughter another office to go to. An actual OB/GYN with REAL doctors and not just midwives.

I have half a mind to just leave this place hanging come tomorrow and next week (if I don't deliver this Thursday). I don't even want to talk to them or see them at all let alone go to any more appointments there. The hospital told me that I needed to get my records from them to bring on Thursday or either have them sent over before my procedure. I don't even want to talk to them or have any more to do with them. So, I'm not sure how to go about that. Any suggestions? I thought about calling the office tonight (I have the midwives personal office number) and leave a nasty message about how I found out differently from the hospital than what she told me and I took it upon myself to schedule my own procedure. That way I wouldn't have to talk to anyone...it would just be on her answering machine come tomorrow morning. What do you think? Am I just being a sissy? I'm just so annoyed. I'm afraid of what I might say in the moment of rage if I'm on the phone with them. lol

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 9:57pm

First off, call and have your records sent, talk to the front desk, then have your baby, then I would do your complaining, if you leave a nasty massage on her machine then you are the one that looks unstable and hormonal, even though you have every right to be pissy and upset and angry and everything else you are feeling, but leaving nasty phone messages IS one way to go if you dont plan on bringing up a grievance with the health department later. I am sure your hospital can point you in the right direction for complaints. But first off get your records and take care of you and your delivery. Hope this helps

Dyan

baby development

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 10:31pm

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

I'm not sure if I'll complain or not. I just hate taking the time to do all this...especially when I'll be taking care of my baby and recovering afterwards. Like I said, I just never want to talk to or deal with these people again. I want to get my daughter out of there and go on with my life. The hospital actually doesn't have anything to do with the midwives. They don't go there to assist in the delivery or have any connection with the hospital at all. So...IDK. They are only there to monitor your pregnancy...and they haven't done a great job of that either.

UGH!!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2008 - 12:22am

I know you said the midwives dont go to the hospital, but the hospital would still have the information on where you could complain about your prenatal care. Thats what I ment, after all you will be laying in a hospital bed feeding baby and all so you could ask while you are there. Filing a complaint could help someone else who is going to them too. Any way good luck, soon you will have your baby and all will be good as gold!

hugs Dyan

baby development

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2008 - 7:26pm

Well, I decided to go ahead and go to my appointment with the midwife today. I have to admit, I only went for my own satisfaction of rubbing it in that I got the scheduling done myself and didn't even need her. Her first reply to me was "I'm still waiting on them to call me back. The last time I called was yesterday at 4pm and talked to Heather." LOL

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2008 - 11:47pm

Good luck, Mitsu, and I am so glad you took care of yourself!

I think you'd be better off with a Yanomamo shaman than a lying midwife!

Ginger

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 5:40pm

Well, I thought I would update everyone on how everything went.

I went in for my version on Thursday at 9am. After they gave me the epidural and it took effect, there were 2 doctors that were doing the version to try to get her to flip and several residents watching.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 9:04pm

Wonderful!!!! Congratulations on Sakaris arrival! I am so glad the c-section went smoothly after the icky version!

Ginger