chorionic villus sampling CVS

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-12-2004
chorionic villus sampling CVS
Wed, 04-02-2008 - 12:36pm

I know for sure I am going to have this test, but would like to hear from anyone who has already been through it.



iVillage Member
Registered: 12-17-2007
Wed, 04-02-2008 - 3:50pm

My SIL had CVS and lost twins right after. I don't knwo all the details, but I know she believes that it was directly a result of the CVS.

This test has a significantly higher risk than anmio, but you can have it done earlier. That is the only benefit, and may not outweigh the risk.

That's my opinion of it, but others may differ.


Edited 4/2/2008 3:54 pm ET by cl-kingmaker_inc
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-22-2008
Thu, 04-03-2008 - 10:49am

Hi, I had the CVS about 2 1/2 weeks ago (the Friday before Easter). Anyway, I knew I wanted early genetic testing too and had all the same concerns about possible complications, etc. but for the sake of my 3 children, I needed to know early on if something were horrifically wrong.

The key beforehand is to talk to the doc that is going to perform the procedure. For me, he came in to do the initial u/s and to talk (which allowed me to ask my questions without pressure and before any instruments were pulled out.) Ask how many he/she has performed. Ask about possible complications (even if you already know the answer - ask anyway to hear their answer). Ask how many losses he's had after doing the procedure.

I don't know if you've ever had an amnio (which I did with #3) but it's similar to that. Depending on where the placenta is, they can either do it through your abdomen or transvaginal (alway a joy). Mine was abdominally so in my case, they did the u/s to see where baby and placenta were, steralized my belly, gave me a quick shot of Lidocaine to numb the area (no biggy), and after it took affect, did the procedure. The needle going in did hurt for a second (more than the amnio) but it was literally just for a second. Once it's in, it doesn't hurt at all. Allthewhile, guided by the u/s.

Afterwards, the doc said to not lift anything heavy for 24 hours but that was the only stipulation. Since I'm neurotic, I had myself on couch-rest and was petrified to cough or sneeze.

The numbers that I was told is the 1:150/200 is the risk. Still very good odds that NOTHING will happen but again, I'm nuerotic and couldn't help but think about the "1". Nothing is without risk, and it's a decision that you and only you (and dad) need to make but statistically, if you're going to an experienced, reputable facility and doc, you'll be fine.

Good luck with everything. Let us know how it went!!!!!! And ask if you have any other questions.