Can boy clothing be too feminine?

iVillage Member
Can boy clothing be too feminine?
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 5:54pm

Okay, here's the deal - DH is groaning about some of the baby boy clothing I have purchased.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 8:37pm

My gut instinct was to follow DH on this as he is the guy. I had the same thing. My mil gave us a bunch of clothes with the bubble butt and peter pan collars. We ended up just putting them on when we went over to her house, and as DH put it, no one in the real world was likely to see him.

OPn the practical side, his legs got cold with the bubble pants and I found that the peter pan collars ended up in the guys mouth and got really dirty fast. Onesies with no collar were more practical, ooh, and never white (yellow was almost as bad)! The spit up stains will never come out, and I only got one or two uses out of them. Blues and greens were better for stain fighting, even if they were light colors. The most practical thing we had for the first few months were onesies, little soft pants with feet (shoes are more hassle than they're worth early on) and footie pajamas. A couple of pairs of jeans and khakis with snaps in the crotch for easy changing for going out or dressing up, and you're set. Target actually has some really cute baby boy clothes...

Good luck! Boys are so fun! Mine is now 2.5, and I have a girl coming this time...

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 9:04pm

Hey Rachelle, Joan here (I changed my screen name).

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2008 - 9:55am

I had to laugh at your message because it took me back to #1 being a baby. I bought the CUTEST little outfit with cows, pigs, and other barnyard animals on it but the main accent color was red. My husband thought I was insane to have bought a girl's outfit for his son. Girl's outfit? Yes, apparently, (at least in DH-world), red is a girl's color and the equivalent to a fluffy frilly cotton candy pink outfit. :o)

I thought he was being ridiculous but I do have to admit that I did not put either of our boys in it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2008 - 10:57am

My DH was the same when our son was born.

Dina

Mommy to Danny (12/21/04) and Hayley (12/02/08)!!! 

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2008 - 2:00am
Rachelle - Was hoping to see a response from you....

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 6:04pm

Dear Rachelle,

Just thought I'd respond back to your inquiry. First off, I think it's a guy thing with your Hubby.. When I had my son He had a few of those outfits that you said you purchased, and well he looked adorable. As far as scarring him for life, lol It didn't at all. He like most every other kids when looking at photos of himself says Mom what were thinking lol, just as I used to say to my mom.

White can be a rough color to keep clean but It's a neutral between Boy or girl. I had some yellow too but most of those were sleepers or boy related outfit with a boy design to them. Honestly You don't have to limit yourself to just blue and geen. As the gal in one of the other posts said, target has real cute boys clothes, I work there and I see the variety. And the outfits come in lots of colors, like red, navy, royal, orange, brown, Tan, A brighter Yellow, etc. They also have a cute line of Pooh clothes that seem very popular.

I'd keep the things ya bought and add some other variety to his wardrobe by taking Hubby to the store and let him chose a few things.. :) It will all work out.

talk to ya soon.

Susan

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 9:58pm

Hey Joan!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 10:33pm

I'm so glad to hear your boy is growing and is as perfect as can be!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2008 - 2:08am

Hello Rachelle

I hope all is going well. I'm fine, but putting on weight much faster than in my last pregnancy, which bothers me because I still have half of the pregnancy to go! My little boy is terribly active and appears to be throwing himself around in there about 5 times a day, or alternatively leaning against the wall of my uterus at his chosen spot (trying to push his way out already?!)

I dressed DD in boys' clothes until she was 1 1/2 because family and friends gave me second hand boys' clothes (I always like something that is tried and tested). I received compliments from strangers on my handsome baby boy. Now she is the most girlish little girl I have ever seen, so apparently she has no memory at all of what I dressed her in at the start. I think they are only interested in you to start with and dont notice a thing about what they are wearing unless it's uncomfortable!! I'd dress your little boy as you wish until he starts complaining (probably about 3!)

A little aside, that my brother would never forgive me for if he read this board (which he wont!) - my mother sent him to school (in England) with a jumper and a pair of wollen tights at 5 years old. Now this is OK in austria where she went to school, but it didnt go down a treat here. Although he claims still to be mortified by the memory of this experience, he has turned out to be a terrific and perfectly balanced and very male chap!

Torielle

<Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-17-2008 - 4:11pm

Hello Torielle!

Wow, seems like we are really starting to "bloom" this spring (no pun intended - well maybe a little one. LOL).

Pages