Possible c-section concerns

iVillage Member
Possible c-section concerns
Sat, 04-12-2008 - 12:38pm

I may end up having to have a c-section next week and have several concerns and questions to ask.

I've been reading the c-section board, but want to hear from the "over 40" age group with their experiences.

Things that I'm concerned about:

After reading about having an epi or spinal and the effects:

The epi will numb the muscles around your heart, which makes you feel like you aren't breathing b/c you are using the upper part of the lung and not breathing from your diaphram.

Laying on your back it's hard to breath while pregnant and you will be on your back for delivery, which the weight makes it even harder to breath.

Feeling the heartbeat pounding really hard.

Drop in blood pressure/heart rate.

Blacking out during the procedure.

Severe shakes after the baby comes out.

Among other breathing issues I've read about are just scarring the crap out of me.

Other weird questions I was wondering about:

Are you confined to the bed for awhile after the c-section?

Can you take showers? If not, how long do you have to wait? (I LIVE for showers. lol)

Can you go up and down steps after you get home? (My bedroom is upstairs)

How long do they keep you in the hospital?

I've read sometimes it takes up to a year for the scar to heal and sometimes it doesn't heal right? You feel the pain still in the scar for a long time.

Do you still bleed vaginally like you do when you deliver normal?

Do they actually tie your arms down during the procedure?

Is it like any other surgery were you can't eat past midnight the following night?

How long is recovery usually?

Just so many things are rushing around in my mind and I think I'm going to go nuts over this weekend...or have an anxiety attack.

I'm sure there are more things that I was wanting to know, but I'm just so overwhelmed right now to think of them.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2008 - 9:10pm

As expected...his "temp" job let him go today. After the bosses telling him that he was the best worker that they had there and he set the "new bar/standards" for the original employees there. They've been telling him that he was the best worker they had there and promising him that his job was secure and that they were going to "temp to hire" in a few months.

He has never been late and has never missed a day other than the 2 days when I delivered the baby (which he scheduled off in advance). The "regular" employees are late every day, do half the amount of work and miss days all the time.

He actually got along (or so he thought) with all the bosses and they actually invited him out to the bar with them after work tonight. Which doesn't make any sense. He gets off work at 3:30pm...we found his job posted on Craigslist at 3:38pm and he got a phone call letting him know that he was "let go" with the reason..."they feel that you are not a good fit for the company" at 4:30pm.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 5:38pm

Well, I ended up doing the version, which DID NOT work (and deep down inside, I knew it wouldn't). I told my husband before we went in there that I had a feeling it wasn't going to work...she was just too stubborn! So, I had prepared myself to think I was going to get a c-section and I did. However, they had told me that if the version did not work, I would be going home for another week and then schedule a c-section if she was still breech. It didn't turn out that way...they ask me right away if I wanted to go ahead and have the c-section that day since I was already numbed up. I opted to do that and get it over with. I DID NOT want to have to go threw another epidural. To me, that was the most painful thing EVER!

I didn't have any of the heart pounding issues, or feeling like my heart stopped or any of that. The only thing that I ended up having was the uncontrolable shakes during the entire procedure for the version and c-section. At one point I was shaking so badly that my arms feel off the OR table and had to be put back on. But everything went well and I had a healthy baby girl that day (Thursday, April 17).

After going threw the version procedure, I would never do that again. Even tho I had the epi, I could feel everything and it was not a great experience for me or the baby. The baby's heartbeat went from 141 to 50 during the procedure. My husband and daughter watched and said that you could see the babys head completely turning in my stomach and it looked as tho my stomach was going to explode it was so big. It was very very painful and I feel as tho I have been beat up to death. My c-section recovery is a lot worse due to having this version prior to it and I am completely bruised inside and out. But, she is all worth it and is doing fine with no complications from the procedure at all.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2008 - 9:14am

Hi!!
Im reading your post and Im going down all your concers and saying "no..No....no....." I understand experiences and circumstances can be different for us all. I had 2 C Sections , each w/the delivery of my sons! I have 2 boys ages: almost 3 and almost 5! Im currenlty pregnant w/a pink Princess!! Im 23wks today!! I can tell you that w/BOTH my boys!! and both C Sections....I had not problems ? no breathing issues ? unless you yourself "kinda worry and make your self sick"??? not trying to be mean but if you psych yourself up ?? lots of things can happen...im sure.

with my 1st son I was being induced or trying to induce me for 3 day! On the 3rd day they said.. "unfavorable" Cervix...and we did a C Sec because my baby was showing signs of distress...So I was not expecting a C Sections on my 1st ..I had take Lamaze..everything I was prepared but Nope didnt go that way. Anyway I have a fantastic Experience!! I didnt feel like I couldnt breathe. They dont tie you down...I got my Epidural and I was numb from the below the bra/chest down!! My hubby w/with me in there and all was wonderful. They numb you up a bit before they put the epidural line in... soo It wasnt bad! Stay Positive Breathe in and out and Relax, Trust the people you are there with whom are working w/you!!

Now my 2nd CSEC..was 2 yrs after the 1st and It was schd... I was calm! We had a set time for me to go to the Hospital, my hubby, my son, my mom and I both went down to the Medical Center I ck'd in.. they got me in the prep room!! and It was like 1, 2, 3....we were done and we had a 10lb Baby boy!! kinda like the Rod Stewart song haha "Patty had a 10lb Baby boy"
anyway.............So I can tell you...you have to not over stress yourself out. I never had any issues like some people claim about epidural site and pain etc and whatnot!! Thank god! I know one thing you want to make sure and get yourself too! Cuz the Hospital doesn provide it..is a SURGICAL BELT to wear as soon as you have the C SECTION they will want you to get up the next day and thats a DOOSEY!! but you can do it!! The more you can hold your tummy in the less painful it is on your Surgery/Csect! Oh and on my 2nd Csec, only one issue that Stood out was that ...after the EPIDURAL wore off !! for almost 6 HOURS i was ITCHING like crazy.. and I just was besides myself. The nurse said maybe they changed the drug that they use..because my 1st was nothing like that!!

Well GOOD LUCK and STay POsitive... all they things you posted I never had a problem!! I was 35yrs old w/my 1st and and 37 w/my 2nd!! I am 39 right now!! Thou will hit 40, which is the new 30!! haha in Dec!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-17-2008 - 1:57am

Hi there!

Don't believe the hype. I have had 2 C-sections, my last one being 4 years ago, and I even have a heart arrythmia and low blood pressure, BUT I had a perfectly fine experience. I did not have any problems. The only time that the epidural can spread and numb a little more than supposed to is if they lay you flat to fast because it starts to spread up to far. I had that happen with my first, but it still was not a bad experience ( it was also 20 yrs ago)

It is a relatively SAFE and very comfortable procedure. I was awake and saw the baby right away and was up and walking the very next morning! The hospitals get you up asap so that you do not get clots. I didn't need any pain killers except some tylenol to take the edge off. However if you have lot of pain, take what they offer you.

The only reason you may get some shakes is because your body temp drops slightly during
any surgery and the epi also causes the blood vessels to slightly constrict in order to help control any bleeding. This in return makes you somewhat cold, that's all. I was released the next day to go home around noon.

You will still vaginally bleed like after any delivery.

They don't tie your arms down at all. You can hold your partners hand, or just lay still.

Do not eat past midnight like any surgery.

The only thing that may happen is occasionally the durmorph ( ingredient in the meds) may make you throw up once.

Hope this has been of some help to you.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 11:36pm
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I could use a miracle right now. lol

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 11:22pm

Oh, I get it, its almost like he's on probation. No wonder he's stressed, but I still bet everything will be okay. It sounds like he would so like this job, and it is hard to keep temping. I will so pray your version works so that you will have a shorter, easier recovery time so he won't have to worry!

Ginger

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 10:21pm

Whatever happens, version, c-section, I am sure it is going to be alright.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 9:23pm
Yea, that's the plan...the version and if that don't work, we'll have to do the c-section. I'm willing to try anything instead of the c-section. I had a friend that died a few years ago due to a c-section and it scares me to death. I know it's not the norm, but when you know someone like that, it really hits close to home and puts things into perspective. Not to mention I have several things going against me health related and I'm just truely scared.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 9:05pm

Oh, wow!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 8:01pm
Thanks for your imput. My husband doesn't want to take the entire 12 weeks...just a few days and that was his concern. I did do a search on the FMLA and it did say something about you had to be an employee of the company for 12 months and the company had to employ XX amount of employees (I think it was around 60 or so) in order for it to apply. Which neither one applies to him. So, I guess we are still in limbo about it. He did tell them that he was going to be off this coming Thursday (for the version procedure) and then once we find out whether or not it worked or if I'd have to schedule a c-section next week he'd let them know.

Pages