Question...all those tests

iVillage Member
Question...all those tests
Mon, 04-28-2008 - 11:56pm

I went for my first doctors appointment today and he was rattling off all the statistics of different possible birth defects a baby born to a lady over 40 could have.

Then he told me all the tests that I could possibly have.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2008 - 10:38pm

Sounds like your doctor wants you to be very informed.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2008 - 1:50am

Hi there.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2008 - 12:54pm

I'm 42 and I did not have any of the test.

During all of my pregnancies (preg. 4x's), they have always ask me about the test as well as asking me what I would do with the results and would I terminate the pregnancy if there was a problem. Every time I've been pregnant, each doctor has said if you are unwilling to terminate the pregnancy, then they will not even do the test.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-02-2008 - 12:00am

Thank you for all your responses.

Yes, I did tell my dr. I wouldn't terminate the pregnancy.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2008 - 3:20pm

When I had my son I just turned 41, My doctor asked me the same thing, if I knew there was somthing wrong would I terminate, I told him no, what I get is what I get. so with that information, I had no testing, other then the testing that they give a 20 year old having a baby. I did start to worry if my baby was going to be genetically perfect towards the end of it and that made me decide that when we try this next time I will have the cvs test. I think they are getting so good at them now that your risks of losing the baby isnt as great as it was in the past. and this time I want to know for sure so I can just enjoy it till the end. Or be totally prepared for any advanced medical attention the baby may require. I am a beliver that woman miscarry because there is something wrong with the fetus and that it wouldnt survive on its own.

Any way good luck and keep us posted.

Dyan

baby Mikey at 2 months Wow what a change

baby development