OMG! Get me off the internet!

iVillage Member
OMG! Get me off the internet!
Sat, 05-10-2008 - 12:55pm

Okay, I have become obsessed with looking up facts on the internet and have totally freaked myself out. The last thing I read said a woman at 45 (my age) has a less than 1% chance of conceiving using her own eggs because basically all her eggs are chromosomally worthless. Do the rest of you do this? I knew it was rare, but I didn't realize most 40+ woman use donor eggs. I am having a really hard time staying positive. I go in Tuesday for an ultrasound and am panicky about how it will go. Sorry to be such a downer....anyone else reading on the internet? I am vowing now to stop.

Julie

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2008 - 5:56am

As the other posters, I conceived without donor eggs. Indeed #1 was not planned (conceived at 40) and #2 was conceived within 6 months of first thinking about trying (conceived at 43), a period which included one miscarriage. Eat healthily, keep the stress levels low and just try!

Of course, I terrify myself constantly looking at the internet. Now in my 24th week and after a good amnio result I'm still doing it! I'll probably be looking for things that could go wrong until the moment I cant get onto the computer anymore because my tummy's too big, but I dont think this is an age-specific phenomenon!

Good luck

Torielle

<Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2008 - 12:38am

Hi. I know what you mean about reading everything on the internet and getting completely bummed and starting to panic.

I just recently delivered (3 weeks ago) and my baby was breech. I read everything I possibly could on the internet about turning breech babies, having c-sections etc. I watched video's and completely paniced before going to the hospital. (It didn't help that I had a friend who died a few years ago due to a c-section and I was bound and determined that I was going to get my baby to flip and not endure that). But, when I knew deep in my heart that this baby was NOT going to turn...I read every horror story online, what could happen and every icky video out there. I was totally freaked out. Everyone told me to stop reading everything and watching video's...but I felt like I needed to prepare myself for what might and could happen.

I totally understand what you are going threw. (Of course I read up on everything that could be wrong with the baby like you have as well).

Everything turned out fine (even tho I had the c-section) and I worried for nothing.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2008 - 5:30pm

Hi,

I didn't use donor eggs and neither did 6 others I know who had babies in their typically.

I completely understand the internet obsession.

Mom to Jeffrey, a 7 year old ball of fire,&nbs

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-11-2008 - 9:56pm
My eggs were just as old and now I have a son born when I was 40 and a daughter born when I was 42.

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-11-2008 - 9:51pm

I have quit reading that stuff as I know so many women irl that have had no problem being over 40 and having babies.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-11-2008 - 8:20pm

WEll I was over 40 and I didnt need no donor egg. heck my hubbies old sperm swam through a condom to get me LOL..

your right get off the internet, you could spend hundreds of hours looking stuff up and find all kinds of things that can go wrong. but try not to worry so much, talk with your doctor and remember not everything you read is true.

Good luck
Dyan

baby Mikey at 2 months Wow what a change

baby development

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-10-2008 - 6:24pm

Julie:

I go through periods of looking up every conceivable birth defect or bad outcome story... and periods when I feel confident. I am presently in a confident phase, which followed my posting the "Borrowing Trouble" thread.

Leading up to that thread were 2 women I know (neither of which know I am pregnant) telling me about their experiences with early U/Ss and then losing the pregnancy. Plus a gal from another board recently posted something... and it totally freaked me out. I've seen a strong heartbeat... aren't I supposed to be able to relax now???

Anyway, yes - try to stay off WebMD and such.

Also, give us an update here and at the TTC > 40 Board as soon as you can after your upcoming U/S. We'll be waiting for your GOOD news. Myself, I am watching the clock until Wednesday... when hopefully my OB will be able to pick up a fetal heartbeat. (If he doesn't, I will probably have a nervous breakdown.)

Libby