Tips on avoiding a breach baby

iVillage Member
Tips on avoiding a breach baby
Wed, 05-21-2008 - 2:00am

I wondered if any of you have tried and tested tips for avoiding that the baby goes into a breach position?

I have been advised to sit with my hands on the lower part of my abdomen to attract his head towards the bottom

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-27-2008 - 1:53am

And was your baby born vaginally after all that effort? Did the doctor manage to turn her and if so, how?

I'm only 29 weeks, so my baby, far from being breach, is wildly all over the place, but I have a friend who is expecting to deliver in 3 weeks and

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2008 - 10:56pm
I tried washing the floor on my hands and knees.

Anne

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2008 - 1:18am

The same thing happened to me. I was constantly feeling like she was spinning and actually more like rolling. Some times it was painful. She always had her elbow and knee's sticking out on the sides. But, never once did she decide to spin all the way and be head down. :(

I wish you all the luck.

sakari small

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2008 - 2:22am

Thanks for the support! I really hope it wont become an issue for me. The hilarious thing is that, talking about spinning babies, my baby is spinning all if the time. (I am only 28 weeks). He keeps turning around and around and even wakes me up at night doing so. My previous baby moved around alot too, but this one is really going over the top. Great lumps stick out all over my belly and sometimes I feel as though a volcano is erupting in there!!

Torielle

<Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2008 - 11:45pm

Torielle, Hopefully things will go good for you. If you can remember all the crap I wen't threw to try to get my baby girl to turn http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-ppafterforty&msg=9772.1&ctx=16384

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2008 - 9:47pm

I did not have a breech pregnancy, but my first daughter was poorly positioned in that she was half way to sunny side up and I had a very long labor (measured in days, not hours). I read very good things about the "Webster Technique" which is something that chiropractors do to turn breech (or otherwise malpositioned) babies, in studies it has a success rate of over 80 %. I have been seeing a Chiropractor since week 30 and I will be 38 weeks this weekend. This is my second pregnancy and I cannot explain how much better I feel overall since I started the treatments. As an example, I had a numb left thigh throughout my first pregnancy and for many months afterwards. I had it again with this pregnancy and it disappeared after my first treatment. Also, my baby is head down and appears to be otherwise well positioned so far.

Good luck,

Deena

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-24-2008 - 10:42am

Torielle,

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-24-2008 - 7:15am

Thanks Kim for this gruelling, but apparently effective advice. I'll be keeping your post in case I need it - I hope I dont, but I'd go a long way to try to avoid a version or a cesarian. I'm trying haematology on

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2008 - 5:20pm

Kim, I really hope your neighbours did not see you doing all those manoeuvres... LOL!!!
I actually don't think that there is a reliable way to prevent a breech, for the simple reason that babies can flip on their own very quickly. An OB friend of mine told me about a delivery where they were seeing the crown of the baby (wasn't yet crowning) and put one of those EEG electrodes attached to a cable... All of the sudden the cable was moving IN, and he realized the baby was just flipping to breach all on his own. They were able to do a manual version and deliver him head first, thankfully. I would just relax... it is one of those things you don't have much control on.

Carmen in AZ

Edited 5/22/2008 7:46 pm ET by olliesmom2006
pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2008 - 3:46pm

OMG, Kim!

Pages