20-24 wks is Critical?

iVillage Member
20-24 wks is Critical?
Fri, 05-23-2008 - 7:41am

Hi everyone!

I had my 20wk OB appt. yesterday and my OB mentioned that I should still be very careful from 20-24 wks of my pregnancy. She mentioned that this time is still really critical.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2008 - 12:33pm

I can only make an educated guess, that it is because after 24 weeks the babies have an actual shot at making it if they are born premature. I think the earliest baby to ever survive was at 22 weeks. Not that you want that to happen (to deliver a baby that premature), but I should think that it makes the 24 week mark special.

Carmen in AZ

pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-24-2008 - 4:28am

It makes me a little nervous reading your post because I am in week 24 and thus maybe I havent been careful enough about something these past 4 weeks. I think Carmen AZ is right, since they say that starting from 24 weeks, a premature baby has a 90% chance of surviving and growing up as well as any other baby, although this is in an incubator and on a drip, etc, which is not optimal.

I think, too, that by week 24 everything vital has developped, even the lungs are well on the way.

However, maybe your OB just wanted to make sure you didnt go out celebrating that the worst was over too early...

Torielle

<Photobucket