Single umbilical artery

iVillage Member
Single umbilical artery
Wed, 06-18-2008 - 4:14pm

Hi all:
I think I introduced my self few months ago when recently learned that I had conceived again, since I had two previous losses I decided to step aside from all kind of information since it was making me uneasy. I started reading again your posts and hope to stay here for the rest of my pregnancy, we're having a girl.

Two weeks ago I went for my second trimester u/s and we were told that my baby looks good, no body malformations and we also know that she doesn't have any trisomy problems (CVS at 11 wks confirmed a healthy girl). But at this last u/s they found she only has one artery instead of the normal two all the umbilical cords have, off course I read all I could about it and what I learned is that most of babies with this umbilical malformation are born okay (like 75% of them) but wondering if any of you have this situation and what your dr has to say about it, outcome??.

I have to see my ob this friday (couldn't see her before since she was out on vacation), I had tried to keep my self calm but scares me so much to think that my baby may have kidney, digestive or neurological problems (the most common with this situation).

--Teresa

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2008 - 3:15pm

I work in pathology and we examine placentas daily.

Photobucket

A baby is a gift from God

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2008 - 5:12pm

thanks so much for your replay, your daughter looks so precious.

I'm glad to hear such good statistics from someone that is first hand on the topic, my doctor seemed to dismiss the whole SUA issue that I actually had to insist on monthly u/s, but either she hadn't seen that many cases or she has never had a complication with a SUA baby. I am going to see another high risk u/s dr tomorrow and she said we'll see what he recommends, the reason for this new dr is that is closer to where i live.

Thanks you again for the info

--Teresa

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker